Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Any community driven extensions?

[eluser]James Pax[/eluser]
Hello Smile

I was just wondering if there are any community driven extensions for CI,

I mean group projects rather than projects that single people come up with like CodeExtinguisher, FreakAuth, Firewood, HMVC, MatchBox and so on...

kind of like Kohana, but strictly attached to CI as an extension.

If there are none I would like to propose one, even if I'm probably not in the position to ( I'm probably not somebody the community looks up to, like the few excellent affirmed programmers here ), but I would be glad if somebody started something like this, I would be gladly part of it! Tongue

[eluser]xwero[/eluser]
Debugging, suggesting functions (with code), ... make contributions community driven. The person who maintains the code is the lead developer and the community is his team. Most contributions are too small to work on as a group.

[eluser]wiredesignz[/eluser]
Most of my code has had community input, xwero is a particularly good contributor. :lol:

[eluser]Tom Glover[/eluser]
Most Extension are run by one person but all have input from the community in one way or another.

[eluser]wiredesignz[/eluser]
James, if you really wan't to help, then download a project like InkType or Blaze and try to develop a site with them, Post all your issues and suggestions back here to help the developers.

Being a tester is big contribution. Wink

[eluser]James Pax[/eluser]
[quote author="xwero" date="1207755857"]Debugging, suggesting functions (with code), ... make contributions community driven. The person who maintains the code is the lead developer and the community is his team. Most contributions are too small to work on as a group.[/quote]

that is very witty point of view Smile "the community will never be the same for me again!" lol

[quote author="wiredesignz" date="1207757603"]James, if you really wan't to help, then download a project like InkType or Blaze and try to develop a site with them, Post all your issues and suggestions back here to help the developers.

Being a tester is big contribution. Wink[/quote]

Ok I will Smile

Oh well... thank you guys, I guess haven't been active enough to figure how things work here Tongue

James

[eluser]asprillia[/eluser]
Hey,

I subscribe to this oppinion. The code posted here looks to me like it has no future, what if the future upgrades of the libraries won't be compatible with the older that I use. If someone developed some library, this is totaly(or almost) under the influence of it's project, and his line of thinking, but if there were many focused on the same problem, I think this would increase reusability. Personally, I've used none of the project's posted here, because I don't find them suitable(or partialy) for what I wanted to do, so after spending 2 days with searching and understanding form generating and validating libraries, I thought it's better to create my own library, which lasted about 3-4 days, but at least looks like what I wanted. Maybe on the future projects, I will first look for some suitable libraries first, and then design the project. This is the only way I see this working. I really don't know how to contribute in this manner of working, maybe posting my libraries, that almost nobody would find suitable. This is what I understand by "community driven", this looks to me like making a car with the spare parts from my friends that have totaly different cars.

Hope I did not offended someone, by the content of this reply, or by my "language", this is not what I wanted.

Thanks.

[eluser]xwero[/eluser]
I don't think the libraries are created to under the influence of a project. My validate library for instance is created with my an others comments about the validation library in mind.

I think when you contribute a function or a library with one or two methods it doesn't matter if it gets picked up or not. It was useful for you and you want others to benefit from it. If you contribute a bigger library or even a part of an application i think you have to ask yourself how do i code it so that a lot of other developers can benefit from it.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say
Quote:The code posted here looks to me like it has no future, what if the future upgrades of the libraries won’t be compatible with the older that I use.
If you don't need to upgrade the library why should you care about non compatible updates. You only update the library when you think it a better way of working or there is a method that is added you want to use or something to that extend.

People who make contributions are committed to make it work for the ones that want to use it.

There were some attempts to get a community driven CMS off the ground but organizing a group of developers working in their free time is something that requires a lot of effort. It's easier to start with a foundation for others to build on.

[eluser]asprillia[/eluser]
What I meant by
Quote:The code posted here looks to me like it has no future,
what if
the future upgrades of the libraries won’t be compatible with the
older
that I use.
is, if I use a library for my project, and later find it has a bug, or I need the library to have another feature, the library doesn't have yet. What should I do, I add the feature, and then want to share it with others. What if the author of the library decides to add-in another feature, that changes, or changes the API. This means I cannot do nothing of the above, so where is the future for this library in my project?
In conclusion, I am always tempted to create my own libraries that suits my projects needs better, than proving and testing some libraries. The best thing I can do is inspire from other libraries. I don't know, maybe there is something wrong in the way I see things.

[eluser]xwero[/eluser]
If you find a bug you can report it in the library topic or create one yourself.

If you want to extend a library you can put it in the system/libraries directory and than you are able to extend the library like you can do for the CI libraries. It's hackish because the CI libraries don't have prefixed file names, something i would like to see for several reasons, so you have to be careful not to overwrite a CI library.

If the author changes the library and you can't use any of the changes you have the choice not to update, it's not windows Wink

There is no one who is going to stop you from writing your own libraries but if you find a library that fits the needs of your project why not use it. A library you create you have to test all on your own, a library found in the forum is probably used an tested by a group of developers so bugs will be squashed by the time you come around.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB