Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
URLS inside CSS

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
Hello, I am quite noob to Code Igniter and while trying to port a site I have to use this framework I encountered this issue:

I have a php page which calls a css file, I ported this as specified in some C.I. help pages using:

Code:
<link href="<?php echo base_url()?>css/drop-down-menu.css" type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" />

However, inside the file drop-down-menu.css I've got a style spec like this:

Code:
#nav a.main {    
      background:url("images/tableft2.png") no-repeat left top;
      margin:0;
      padding:0 5px 0px 1px;    
      text-decoration:none;
      width:7em;
      }

I tried adding the same "<?php echo base_url()?>" to the "images/tableft2.png" url style, however, as I expected, PHP won't parse it.

My question therefore is, how would you solve this? aside of hard-coding the page URL in the style (using
Code:
url("mysite.com/images/tableft2.png")
). Is it possible to get the base dynamically?

[eluser]xwero[/eluser]
it's possible if you put your css code in a php file.
Code:
<link href="<?php echo base_url()?>css/drop-down-menu.php" type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" />
// in the file
#nav a.main {    
      background:url("<?php echo base_url()?>images/tableft2.png") no-repeat left top;
      margin:0;
      padding:0 5px 0px 1px;    
      text-decoration:none;
      width:7em;
      }

Css isn't a dynamic language. In xhtml 2 you can add a src attribute to all elements which moves the images out the css files.

[eluser]Seppo[/eluser]
The CSS code URLs are relative to the css directory.

So, if your structure is like this
Quote:-- system
-- css
---- drop-down-menu.css
-- images
---- tableft2.png

You should set the css form the css folder to the image file
Code:
background:url("../images/tableft2.png") no-repeat left top;

[eluser]sandwormusmc[/eluser]
I put my main css into a CI view, then loaded that. That way I can access all of the CI internals from within that view/css for setting the base url (forgot what they are at the moment...).

[eluser]m4rw3r[/eluser]
@sandwormusmc: If you do so, then you would circumvent the browser caching that normally occurs when a css file is loaded (I take you include the css in the HTML sent to the browser and the css isn't a separate action in the controller, right?), which causes the css to get reloaded for every page request.
Why not relative URLConfused in the CSS?

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB