Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
CI3 or CI4

Hello everybody!

I have to program a small and quite simple application. I need to decide whether to use CI3 or CI4. Is CI4 already suitable for it? 

Thank you!

I've got one live site and another upcoming project on CI4 4.0.0 RC3. Knowing that Codeigniter 4 is moving from RC to general release in the next 5-6 weeks has given me confidence to move all my current and future development to CI4. In general, it's very stable now and wicked fast.

That said, for somebody who has been using CI2 and CI3 for years, there was definitely a learning curve... so factor that into your decision. While the basic features and concepts are the same, CI4 is a complete rebuild and just about everything is done a little differently.

If you do a production project in CI4 right now, I'd encourage you to use the Appstarter library and lean on Composer to manage  upgrades and updates. That way you can upgrade to 4.0.0 as soon as it's available.

https://codeigniter4.github.io/userguide...poser.html
Designer, developer and Diet Dr. Pepper addict. Messing up PHP since <?= $when['year';] ?>

(This post was last modified: 01-23-2020, 07:09 AM by JNapolitanoIT.)

CodeIgniter 4. CodeIgniter 3 is what you may consider to be quite antiquated by today's standards. CodeIgniter 4 should (hopefully) be releasing its first stable version by February 24th.

Why you ask?

- CodeIgniter 4 follows the trends of newer technology.

- It is easier to extend than CodeIgniter 3. Yes in version 3 you could use MY_Controller's and such, but extending CodeIgniter 4's services are far superior.

- Support for version 4 will last substantially longer. I forget how long version 3 will be supported but version 4 will be supported far longer into the future.

It is far better to prepare for the future by using the newest iterations of the framework.

I hope this helps you decide Smile
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.
George R.R. Martin

(01-22-2020, 12:48 PM)jameslittle Wrote: I've got one live site and another upcoming project on CI4 4.0.0 RC3. Knowing that Codeigniter 4 is moving from RC to general release in the next 5-6 weeks has given me confidence to move all my current and future development to CI4. In general, it's very stable now and wicked fast.

That said, for somebody who has been using CI2 and CI3 for years, there was definitely a learning curve... so factor that into your decision. While the basic features and concepts are the same, CI4 is a complete rebuild and just about everything is done a little differently.

If you do a production project in CI4 right now, I'd encourage you to use the Appstarter library and lean on Composer to manage  upgrades and updates. That way you can upgrade to 4.0.0 as soon as it's available.

https://codeigniter4.github.io/userguide...poser.html

Thank you very much for your answer. I've been using CI for more than 12 years. Last years I had pause with it so I lost focus :-) I will go with CI4, I looked at docs and I like it.

(01-22-2020, 12:57 PM)JNapolitanoIT Wrote: CodeIgniter 4. CodeIgniter 3 is what you may consider to be quite antiquated by today's standards. CodeIgniter 4 should (hopefully) be releasing its first stable version by February 24th.

Why you ask?

- CodeIgniter 4 follows the trends of newer technology.

- It is easier to extend than CodeIgniter 3. Yeas in version 3 tou could use MY_Controller's and such, but extending CodeIgniter 4's services are far superior.

- Support for version 4 will last substantially longer. I forget how long version 3 will be supported but version 4 will be supported far longer into the future.

It is dar better to prepare for the future by using the newest iterations of the framework.

I hope this helps you decide Smile

You're right. It's better to be prepared for the future. CI3 is good but in these days obsolete. Looked deeply in docs and It looks very good, I like it.

I just hope that CI4 is going to be release as soon as possible. By the way, does ci4 can be developed for production now even if its not yet released? I saw the last commit of changes was around 2019.

(01-27-2020, 10:45 PM)crimsonkid Wrote: I saw the last commit of changes was around 2019.

Where are you looking? There are commits almost every day. https://github.com/codeigniter4/CodeIgniter4

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB