Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Issues on database session / session driver

Hi, I have a chat application build with Codeigniter 3.1.11 and jQuery ajax. I'm using database session driver. There was no issue in localhost, but when I have moved it to live server and as per increase in the accessing number of users, I have many issues with the session. One of the issue is its creating multiple session ids for a single user (Means when I'm opening a page inside my browser, its creating around 4 to 6 ids minimum inside the ci_sessions table, sometimes its more than that). And sometimes I have losing the session values (like it's resetting in every ajax call). And I have getting the below error also inside the log file:

ERROR - 2020-02-04 13:41:30 --> Query error: Deadlock found when trying to get lock; try restarting transaction - Invalid query: UPDATE `ci_sessions` SET `timestamp` = 1580823690 WHERE `id` = 'e0b75ac252a680d3ec6ad1b8589f4836b89f8bf5'

My live sever info:

Apache Version: 2.4.41
PHP Version: 7.3.13
MySQL Version: 10.3.18-MariaDB
Operating System: linux

When I'm posting this, my ci_sessions table contains 478 unique ip addresses and 5105 entries inside the table. Please anyone help with this issue. 

What are your PHP ini settings for the garbage collector?

(This post was last modified: 02-10-2020, 05:43 AM by UC_SUJITH.)

(02-10-2020, 04:30 AM)Goddard Wrote: What are your PHP ini settings for the garbage collector?

session.gc_divisor=0
session.gc_probability=0
session.gc_maxlifetime=1440
session.use_cookies=1
session.use_only_cookies=1
session.use_strict_mode=0

Garbage collector is working fine, because ci_sessions table contains sessions only from 2020-02-10 (today). And one more thing, I have checked the below file (codeigniter built-in session driver file for database sessions):

/system/libraries/Session/drivers/Session_database_driver.php

I found there is a lock of 5 minutes! I didn't understand why they are locking a row (i doubt they are locking the entire table for 5 minutes!) for 300 seconds. I have reduced that to 150 seconds and the count of dead lock occurring has been reduced now. Also found there is another thing inside the session library file:

/system/libraries/Session/Session.php

The function "sess_regenerate" simply calling the php session_regenerate_id(). As per the php manual, session_regenerate_id() will not handle unstable networks such as Mobile and Wifi and the session value may lose. I think, this can be the reason behind creating multiple sessions for a single user. That is, somehow php or apache identified my network as unstable and session library couldn't handle this situation. I think, Codeigniter native session library is not enough for my application.

(This post was last modified: 02-10-2020, 06:03 PM by dave friend.)

(02-10-2020, 05:40 AM)UC_SUJITH Wrote: The function "sess_regenerate" simply calling the php session_regenerate_id(). As per the php manual, session_regenerate_id() will not handle unstable networks such as Mobile and Wifi and the session value may lose. I think, this can be the reason behind creating multiple sessions for a single user. That is, somehow php or apache identified my network as unstable and session library couldn't handle this situation. I think, Codeigniter native session library is not enough for my application.

You can eliminate the call to session_regenerate_id() by using the following setting in /application/config/config.php

PHP Code:
$config['sess_regenerate_destroy'] = false

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB