Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Upgrading - Incremental or All at once?

(This post was last modified: 02-24-2020, 01:59 PM by dbrooke.)

Hello,

In prepping for my upgrades from 3.1.0.. I'm looking at about 11 versions that I need to step through
( don't ask why I didn't do the step upgrades ).

Re:
https://codeigniter.com/user_guide/insta...ading.html

I thought about 2 strategies:
1.) Install the very latest CI files (3.1.11) and then go through each step version docs and take care of any individual required edits.
2.) Install each revision files in their order (taking care of the individual requirements in order)

I'd prefer #1 (because I will get tired of doing diff on my 8 custom files) 11 times.. but maybe that is my plight. ;-)

Anyone been through this?

Suggestions? Ridicule? lol

Donovan

edited: wrong number in preference!

(This post was last modified: 02-20-2020, 12:55 PM by jreklund.)

You should replace your system folder with the latest version. And then follow all steps and replacing your files in application and doing the modifications.

Have you modified the system folder? As it shouldn't be that many edits in the application folder, those don't really alter your application.

Do what you feel best works for you, there are no right or wrong (but 1 goes faster).

I don't see how you would end up diffing your files 11 times with option 1, option 2 however... As you make a note on what files to replace in e.g. 3.1.1 and if it's replaced again in 3.2.1 you apply the 3.2.1 one.

(02-20-2020, 12:55 PM)jreklund Wrote: You should replace your system folder with the latest version. And then follow all steps and replacing your files in application and doing the modifications.

Have you modified the system folder? As it shouldn't be that many edits in the application folder, those don't really alter your application.

Do what you feel best works for you, there are no right or wrong (but 1 goes faster).

I don't see how you would end up diffing your files 11 times with option 1, option 2 however... As you make a note on what files to replace in e.g. 3.1.1 and if it's replaced again in 3.2.1 you apply the 3.2.1 one.

Thanks,
Yes, only minor customization's in system.
fortunately I have a dev site to test off of, so I'll try Opt 1 and report back for those others that might be in a similar situation.

Donovan

Good luck! I have also made customization to the system folder, but only one at least.

Added IGNORE to the insert batch, due to the way I import stuff.
PHP Code:
    /**
     * Insert batch statement
     * Generates a platform-specific insert string from the supplied data.
     * @param    string    $table    Table name
     * @param    array    $keys    INSERT keys
     * @param    array    $values    INSERT values
     * @return    string
     */

protected function _insert_batch($table$keys$values)
    {
        return 
'INSERT IGNORE INTO '.$table.' ('.implode(', '$keys).') VALUES '.implode(', '$values);
    } 

After doing this, and with all presumed disclaimers ;-), it is really straight forward to just go straight to 3.1.11.

Use a custom index.php (as the docs say)

ie.
In general, you can overwrite 'system' folder.
if you have any custom files in 'system'.. for example, system/language/english/form_validation_lang.php, just
make a backup copy of those file/s first.. then copy over your customization's.

inside the uploaded 3.1.11 'system' folder:
rsync -a ./* ../../<yourold>/system/

For the 'application' folder, I only had to do this:
- copy over application/config/foreign_chars.php
- copy over application/config/mimes.php
- copy over application/config/user_agents.php

I went over each of the 11 steps here:
https://codeigniter.com/user_guide/insta...ading.html

However, I found I didn't need to mess with any of those. Good chance you won't either... but check them over anyway.

Upgrade your php, restart your web server, replace your index file.
Worked for me.. good luck.

Now on to rewriting my site for version 4!! 8-o

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB