Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Will development of CodeIgniter 3 continue? Or who will continue it?

Hi, I've taken a look at CI4, and I'm not interested in the overhauling changes done to it's core design and now contains a bunch of layers of abstraction.

So, will CI3 development continue, or who will pick it up?

(This post was last modified: 04-19-2020, 10:58 AM by jreklund.)

Hi,

CodeIgniter 3 are an Open Source project developed by the community. If you need something done, you need to pull up your sleeves and do it yourself. :-)

As it currently stands there are only one main developer named narfbg, you can see contributors here. There are still Pull Request being done on Github, so there are still ideas by the community on what to fix. Last commit to the project was 13 days ago. If the community want it to be alive; the community needs to develop/maintain it.

Currently there are more developers getting involved in CodeIgniter 4, as it's the framework of the future. CodeIgniter 3 core are getting old and can't compete in the real world. There have never been this much activity regarding CodeIgniter in the forum since I joined in Aug 2017, so the hype for CodeIgniter 4 are real.

I don't remember if narfbg have giving and end-of-live statement when he are done with CodeIgniter 3. And at this time there are no end-of-life support for bugs and security fixes by the Foundation. But the project will live on as long as the community are working on it.

I appreciate and encourage the development of CI4. To remain CI alive, development and future adaptation is a must. But CI3 is continuing for a long time. The architecture is different from the two versions. It will be easy to start with CI4 for a new project but will not be easy to upgrade from productive CI3 to 4. That's why CI3 must be continued to develop/maintain at least for a certain period of time may be 3 to 4 years at least.

(04-28-2020, 04:43 PM)MIS Wrote: I appreciate and encourage the development of CI4. To remain CI alive, development and future adaptation is a must. But CI3 is continuing for a long time. The architecture is different from the two versions. It will be easy to start with CI4 for a new project but will not be easy to upgrade from productive CI3 to 4. That's why CI3 must be continued to develop/maintain at least for a certain period of time may be 3 to 4 years at least.

Very nice suggestion.
We appreciate if a team start developing a way to support backward compatibility if CI4 or individual development of Codeigniter version 3.
Some of the users are not as good as you guys in terms of in depth Codeigniter development. only the end users of this amazing products.
I couldn't help you before. So don't take my request as being rude.
I love Codeigniter and so far, it's been great for my website.

See https://forum.codeigniter.com/showthread...#pid410657

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB