Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Poll: Which Operating System do CI developers use?

[eluser]Michael Ekoka[/eluser]
Microsoft has recently decided to drop support for XP and many end users have been quite unhappy with this. Some are contemplating jumping ship from the Windows family in favor of the other 2 main contenders: Linux and Mac OS X, with the latter appearing to be the popular trend. I'm an Ubuntu guy myself and I'm seeing here the opportunity for hardware and PC vendors, who have not done so yet, to get their act together and stop snubbing Linux. If they want to save part of their PC business, they should realize that Vista is not gonna get better any time soon, so they need to push more the Ubuntu solution to their customers. Otherwise, 2010 might be the year where Dell and HP start selling MacBooks.

I'm rather curious about trends in our little CI community here and its use of various development tools, I will post some polls starting with this one.

[eluser]Armchair Samurai[/eluser]
Which operating system do you use?

... and still no option for people who use multiple OSes. :p

[eluser]George Ornbo[/eluser]
Design and Dev: OSX
Server: Linux

... testing IE6 & 7 (because I *have* to) Windows XP via Parallels

[quote author="Armchair Samurai" date="1208509006"]... and still no option for people who use multiple OSes. [/quote]
I see but, the question is not really about which ones you know how to use, but rather about which one you favor, the one you spend the most time on, the one you call home, etc. I have my old Win2K install here that I use mainly when my Ipod behaves just too weirdly with Amarok, or when I have to test a page with IE6 & 7, but I hardly spend any time on it. I can't really say that I equally use both OS.

[eluser]jkevinburton[/eluser]
^ same as me above

designing and development: Mac OS X 10.5.2 Leopard
server: linux

IE testing Windows XP via Parallels

[eluser]missionsix[/eluser]
I use both OSX and windows Vista. I like my windows because that's what I grew up on, although I also love OSX (on my macbook pro).

And i have to say that Vista is treating me Just fine. No complaints here. All my software works flawlessly an the look is so much better than XP. My only gripe is that my video card is almost not cutting it. I have a 6800gt and its lags like a dial up modem in games. Time to upgrade I suppose.

I also love the windows environment because it allows me to test multiple browsers for site compatibility. Currently I test my layouts in IE 7, IE8, Firefox, Safari AND Opera. All from my windows box.

[eluser]GSV Sleeper Service[/eluser]
er, BDS?

[quote author="GSV Sleeper Service" date="1208574074"]er, BDS?[/quote]
aargh... well, too late. I'll have them change their name to fit my poll. ;-)

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
All my testing is done with Vista. I use it primarily for developing, designing, and testing. And that's about it. I do a lot of recording with music on my XP machine and there are some glitches here and there. So I understand.

So I can't switch up to Vista anytime soon with my DAW because my hardware isn't really compatible with Vista yet. I thought about going with a MAC with OSX, but the only reason I would be doing that would be for Logic Pro for music production. Then again if I would have started with a Mac i wouldn't have this problem in the first place :cheese: :-P

[eluser]Gordaen[/eluser]
I use Linux on both my laptop and desktop and it's my OS of choice. At work, I use OSX since the choice when I first started was Windows or OSX.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB