Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
The future of Codeigniter

Quote:1.  Do you think it's acceptable to take five years to rewrite a framework?
Yes

Quote:2.  Do you think the insertion of thousands of lines of copyright notices on CI3 represents good intention or petty bureaucracy?
It was a good intention definitely. It's better to be safe than get to get into legal issues. There are some projects which fell apart due to this

Quote:3.  Do you think that Codeigniter is in a stronger position - relative to other frameworks - than it was when it was owned by EllisLab?
Can't really answer on this. I never had issue with worrying about such things

Quote:4.  Now that five years have passed and we have some history to look back upon, how would you rate the management of Codeigniter, on a scale of one to ten, since ownership was passed from Ellislab to the University of British Columbia?
It's very good. There's always a place for improvement but considering there arevery few people actively doing work on the framework i agree with 10/10

Quote:5.  Given the fact that industry leading frameworks like Angular are component driven (i.e., modular), do you think it was a wise decision for the guardians of Codeigniter to throw out the family jewels and turn their backs on modular web development?
It's very clear that you haven't been using CI4. It have module support but it will not be modular if the code is not written to be modular. You can do almost anything.

Quote:6.  Given the fact that the web development community appears to be on the verge of moving AWAY from centralised, privately owned code sharing websites - such as Packagist and NPM - do you think it was a good idea to tether CI4 to PSR
Standards are there for a reason. Regarding the Packagist you're not required to use it. You can still just copy the framework files. Try setting up Laravel without composer

Quote:7.  Codeigniter HAD the fastest benchmarks of all of the leading PHP frameworks.  It's factually provable.  Thanks to PSR-4 autoloading (as seen in CI4) those benchmarks and CI's unique position in the marketplace has now been thrown down the toilet - sacrificed in exchange for some kind of approval from a self appointed governing body who go by the name of PHPFIG.  Do you think this was an exchange that strengthened Codeigniter's position within the marketplace?
IMO That is the win for the CI4 not having to load things manually anymore. As hardware is much more powerful and cheaper nowadays I can only see benefits from having PSR. If you are really into getting the most of the resources just write the project framework-less. And once it gets a bit more complex good luck with managing it. CI4 is still very fast and much more lightweight than most of the frameworks anyway

Quote:8.  Unless I'm very much mistaken there are no Codeigniter conferences, no podcasts, no official YouTube channel and not even a working 'contact us' form!  This is in stark contrast to the Laravel community, who enjoy a calendar that's packed with all sorts of live events and exciting launches.  So, please help me to understand this... by what definition do any of you think that Codeigniter has a thriving community?
All of these require a lot of time and effort. Most of us will rather dedicate those on writing up a PRs. The community behind CodeIgniter is great especially if you want to be involved in framework development. I personally don't see any reason why we should put our efforts into making the framework more popular instead of dedicating those hours to improve the code.

Quote:9.  To anyone who is involved in the guardianship / ownership of Codeigniter, I'd like to know why you got involved.  In other words, what are your motivations?  What drives you?  What is it that makes you want to be an owner of Codeigniter?  What is it that makes you work from first thing in the morning until last thing at night (presumably) making Codeigniter better?
I don't understand this question the framework is owned buy the CodeIgniter Foundation so none of us own it personally. As it's already said work is done on our own free time. What motivates me is that I'm using the framework and I like it and I wan't it to become event better.

Quote:10.  Given the fact that Codeigniter is now in competition against trillion dollar big tech companies like Google, Facebook and Amazon (via 'Serverless'), how do you think that's working out?  Do you think you can beat them?  Are you feeling confident?  Do you think web developers on mass are going to reject the growing assortment of frameworks that are being produced by the big tech companies and flock towards Codeigniter?  Or are the Codeigniter owners resigned to defeat and now on the verge of being demoted to some kind of niche throwback from the past?  Tell us!  I'd like to know.
Why would we even try to beat those. You said Serverless try running these locally without the network connection. Or even worse you have something built on proprietary tech and you have to move away from this company for any reason.

Quote:11.  Finally, why should anyone use Codeigniter?  One thing's for sure - you've certainly no longer got the right to talk about market leading benchmarks.  So, go ahead.  I'd love to hear the elevator pitch.  Why should any developer choose Codeigniter?

There are many reasons one might have
  • You simple like the framework
  • It suits your needs
  • It's very simple to understand. You can get to know all the system classes in small amount of time
  • It's still very lightweight and fast
  • You can do almost anything with it if you have skills
  • It's beginner friendly

I've rewritten some of the site for our clients from CI3 to CI4 still rewriting some of them and all of those are in production right now serving hundreds of millions request per month haven't noticed any performance degradation. In the end we only got the improvements especially with the new Session management in CI4 and the code is much more manageable and easier to understand now. So I don't see any reason why it should not be used in production even for more complex sites. It requires a bit more work as you don't have everything pre made but it gives you a possibility to build something completely tailored for your needs. If there is a class with does not work for you can always build your own and following couple of interfaces you can make it integrate seamlessly with the framework.

It seems to me like you haven't even tried building something with CodeIgniter4. CodeIgniter3 is great framework but it uses very outdated practices and building thing on it is much slower process comparing on doing it with the CodeIgniter4 and with the way how business work nowadays and everything needs to be done ASAP I see bright future for CodeIgniter

Not matter what framework is in question developers should tend to write their code with higher quality instead of trying to complete more project in shortest amount of time and then put blame on the framework due to their code being bad and having poor performance.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB