Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
report writer with Templates?

(This post was last modified: 02-09-2020, 06:43 AM by richb201.)

I have been gone for awhile while battling apathy. I am back to working on my project with a little different prospective. I a need library to help generate a report for the user. The report should be based on a template and what sections will be included in the report will be controlled by the user. Of course, I need this "report library" to be callable from my CI app. The different sections of the report will contain data that I have already gathered for that user (plus some boilerplates). It will have a few charts, a few graphs, and a bunch of text, broken down into 3 or 4 parts. I figure that the output of this library should be a Word document, since I expect the text/charts/graphs will need to be formatted a little by the end user. My app stores data long term in AWS S3 and DynamoDB.  I have also stored some data in a server based MariaDB database. So whatever library needs to be able to pull from those varied data stores. My philosophy all along has been to use existing tools. So for example I use AWS lots and am considering Microsoft offerings for other parts. I would also consider doing it in Google Docs, but I see that the template must be public, and this concerns me. 

I am willing to pay for this library. Does anyone have a recommendation? I did see KoolReports but am just not sure if it can do what I need it to.
proof that an old dog can learn new tricks

PHPJasper - A PHP Report Generator
What did you Try? What did you Get? What did you Expect?

Joined CodeIgniter Community 2009.  ( Skype: insitfx )

(This post was last modified: 02-11-2020, 10:23 AM by richb201.)

Love it. Thank you! One more question. Do you have it running under Ubuntu? I can't seem to get iReports to start up on my Linux PC, but it seems fine on my Windows 7 PC.

No, sorry I'am running under windows 10 pro x64 and apache.

I use IntelliJ's phpStorm, not Eclipse. Seems that the newer version, called JaspersoftStudio is an add in to Eclipse. And getting the standalone version, called iReport, to run on Ubuntu 18 is almost impossible. For example, it requires Java 7 and won't run with Java 8. And I can't seem to get Java 7 anymore. So maybe the answer is to load up Eclipse, just so I can load up JaspersoftStudio. Think how long that learning curve will be!

I also Own and use phpStorm 2019.3.1, I would get hold of the Jasper software people
and see if they can help you.

It seems that they have shifted away from the stand alone version. I did upvote a request at IntelliJ for an integration, for what it is worth. I just installed Eclipse and will try to install the Jaspersoft add on now. Let's face it, Jaspersoft design (not server) is merely building an XML file, so it really doesn't need to close integrate with my code, just my datastores. I'll let you know how it works out. For the Jaspersoft server, there is a Docker based version available from Bitnami that I will use (once I figure out how to install it).

(This post was last modified: 06-24-2020, 04:32 PM by richb201.)

I am pretty much giving up on Jasper at this point. There is zero support from their user group and I have limited time. My plan was to use postgresql because jasper can directly use it. But actually  I need to store images and it is not clear if jasper uses the ByteA fields or the Blobs stored as separate files. Just too many unknowns. So I am back to trying to use KoolReports. It seems that they allow you to store small versions of images in mySQL. I will store the large versions in S3 and keep the URL that points at them. But I won't use the large images in the Jasperreport, just the small ones.

Now I have an issue of how to have CI and Jaspereports coexist in the same controller. My CI controller starts off with class extends. And then all the functions I use are defined within that.

class Configure extends CI_Controller
  {

public function __construct()
      {
          parent::__construct();
          $this->load->database();
          $this->load->helper(array('form', 'url'));
          $this->load->library('grocery_CRUD');
          $this->load->library('email');
          $this->load->library('image_CRUD');
          $this->_init();
      }

private function _init()
      {
          $this->output->set_template('default2');
          $this->load->js('assets/themes/default/js/jquery-1.9.1.min.js');
          $this->load->js('assets/themes/default/hero_files/bootstrap-transition.js');
          $this->load->js('assets/themes/default/hero_files/bootstrap-collapse.js');
          $this->load->js('js/jquery.orgchart.js');    // for charts
      }
}

But the sample for KoolReport starts off with its own class extends:
class MyReport extends \koolreport\KoolReport
{
    use \koolreport\clients\Bootstrap;
    function settings()
    {
        return array(
            "assets"=>array(
                "path"=>"../../assets",
                "url"=>"assets",
            ),
            "dataSources"=>array(
                "automaker"=>array(
                    "connectionString"=>"mysql:host=localhost;dbname=automaker",
                    "username"=>"admin",
                    "password"=>"xxxx",
                    "charset"=>"utf8"
                )
            )
        );

I'd like to use the same dsn[default] defined in database.php for both. I am also concerned about how to setup KoolReport within CI. Can a "class extends" be inside of anther class extends?

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB