Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
From "pure" PHP to CodeIgniter

Greetings all!

I am very new member on this forum so let me introduce myself a bit. I am self-thought freelance PHP developer since 2015. I develop alone, so I consider myself more or less capable in PHP, javascript, jQuery, CSS, html, SQL (MySQL). So far, I had some 20-ish project, some with several 10s of thousands lines of code. I am quite aware that some of my development practices are not the best so I am trying to improve myself, more so as I started one large project. Anyway, mostly for security reasons, I decided to use a PHP framework, and after reading internet for several days, I picked the framework - CodeIgniter.

Any general thoughts, suggestions, comments? Is this the right choice?

Cheers!

I have been using it since 2009 and find it does everything I need and its not bloated like
all the other frameworks.

Welcome to CodeIgniter and the Forum.
What did you Try? What did you Get? What did you Expect?

Joined CodeIgniter Community 2009.  ( Skype: insitfx )

Codeigniter is the kind of framework that works perfectly for small projects and you can scale it well for big projects too.

It is specially good for projects that you have to maintain for a long period of time, because the internals aren't constantly being changed.

If you're starting with codeigniter and MVC frameworks and want to watch some videos about it I created a new youtube channel and I'm doing a series on codeigniter.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9HQjer...RoKMwtYQ4w
Website: marcomonteiro.net  | Blog: blog.marcomonteiro.net | Twitter: @marcogmonteiro | TILThings: tilthings.com

(07-12-2020, 05:06 AM)marcogmonteiro Wrote: Codeigniter is the kind of framework that works perfectly for small projects and you can scale it well for big projects too.

It is specially good for projects that you have to maintain for a long period of time, because the internals aren't constantly being changed.

If you're starting with codeigniter and MVC frameworks and want to watch some videos about it I created a new youtube channel and I'm doing a series on codeigniter.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9HQjer...RoKMwtYQ4w
Many thanks for the link. I will surely watch the videos!

Moving to a framework in general are a great choice to kickstart your learning, as it forces you into another standard that you may not be comfortable with. People tend to slack regarding MVC patterns if they don't have a solid base to begin with.

Regarding the choice of CodeIgniter, try before you buy. As it's matter of taste.

(07-11-2020, 09:41 AM)Hogar Wrote: Greetings all!

I am very new member on this forum so let me introduce myself a bit. I am self-thought freelance PHP developer since 2015. I develop alone, so I consider myself more or less capable in PHP, javascript, jQuery, CSS, html, SQL (MySQL). So far, I had some 20-ish project, some with several 10s of thousands lines of code. I am quite aware that some of my development practices are not the best so I am trying to improve myself, more so as I started one large project. Anyway, mostly for security reasons, I decided to use a PHP framework, and after reading internet for several days, I picked the framework - CodeIgniter.

Any general thoughts, suggestions, comments? Is this the right choice?

Cheers!

You're in the same position that I was - all of my projects were in vanilla PHP.  I attempted to adhere to MVC in my own code but it always niggled me that I wasn't always doing things properly.

I looked at Laravel at the time (this was several years ago) and couldn't even get it setup on my local system, let alone start developing.  So, I started my first project using CodeIgniter and it was a joy to work with.  I've delivered several large-ish projects using CodeIgniter since.

In more recent years I've developed a few projects in Laravel also, but the learning curve is much steeper, it's more complicated and it always feels like there is more to setup, and more to go wrong.  I don't think I would/could have learned Laravel without learning CodeIgniter first.

For someone going from vanilla PHP to a framework, I personally feel that CodeIgniter is an excellent choice.

@CINewb:
To be honest, what you are saying sounds very familiar. I was trying, few years ago, Laravel, and it got me totally confused. Now, three weeks into CI, I am starting to get used to it. It seems that I made a good choice. Smile We will see down the road. Cheers all!

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB