Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
How to count logged in users?

Hello. I'm using session to have logged in users, and have set CI (3) to store those in database.
I was thinking (half as a scenario) that I want to replace files in the running system, and want to check if there are anyone logged in to the system. If there is, I would wait and check again - until none is logged in (except maybe me). Is there a way to count logged in users?

@valema,

When a user logs in do you store (in the database) any flags or data that documents when if if a user is logged in? If so, then all you would need to do is simply query the database to tell you when a user(s) is logged in.

(This post was last modified: 08-27-2020, 02:28 PM by valema.)

@php_rocs thanks for replying. No, just Id and username (in session). I see I can for example have a column in the user table "logged_in" that can be int and 0 means no 1 means yes. Or have a column "last_logged_in" datetime and "last_logged_out". But if user forgets to log out or close browser without logging out?

@valema,

You can approach this many different ways. You could determine if the session is still active and if not then automatically close out the user. You could have a feature that determines if the user is still active and if not then it automatically logs them off. And there are other things you can do as well.

(This post was last modified: 08-28-2020, 05:49 AM by valema.)

Well. I once tried to find in the sql-select-result from CI_sessions when a user was logged out... but didn't grasp (it). Now I wonder must I use CI session-helper or is it OK to use php's $_SESSION, in order for all needed info to be stored in the CI_sessions table... I also wonder if the "state" (logged_in or not) of a user can be globally recognised, or if it's read with help of users cookies.

(This post was last modified: 08-28-2020, 06:50 AM by InsiteFX.)

Have a helper return the logged in state, you can make the helper global by placing it in
commom.php

PHP Code:
function loggedIn()
{
    return ($_SESSION['loggedIn'] == true) ? true false;

Or whatever you are using for the users state.
What did you Try? What did you Get? What did you Expect?

Joined CodeIgniter Community 2009.  ( Skype: insitfx )

(This post was last modified: 08-28-2020, 06:49 AM by php_rocs.)

@valema,

Did you read the documentation (https://codeigniter.com/userguide3/libra...on-library)? Maybe it can help you to grasp it. The CI session is what I have used in all of my built CI web applications.

(This post was last modified: 08-31-2020, 06:29 AM by valema.)

Thanks for the answers. I read on CI userguide this example:

$newdata = array(
        'username'  => 'johndoe',
        'email'    => '[email protected]',
        'logged_in' => TRUE
    );

$this->session->set_userdata($newdata);

How would it be retrieved,

1. in code / not "global" - is it array - by which name? It seems it would be ok with $_SESSION['username'], $_SESSION['email'], $_SESSION['logged_id'], conclusion-1: this "SESSION" could be read only by a certain user... otherwise through database.

2. In the database - how would the three (key/values) be associated - aha they are at one/same row in db right...
conclusion-2: the values are associated being at one/same line.

I was reading select-result from ci_sessions before logging in and after (logging out) - nothing was added, but I have this error now:

A PHP Error was encountered
Severity: Warning

Message: session_regenerate_id(): Cannot regenerate session id - session is not active

Filename: models/X_model.php

Line Number: --

After "logging out"

Anyway - a first step is to have "logged_in" session variable.

My log in function have

(reading from user table)

$_SESSION["user_name"] = $email;
$_SESSION["user_id"] = base64_encode($row->id);

log out function have

$_SESSION["user_id"] = 0;//test, för det loggades ej ut i Opera 58.0.3135.79
session_unset();
session_destroy();
session_write_close();
setcookie(session_name(), '', 0, '/');

(so it wouldn't fit here to put $_SESSION["logged_in"]=false , because all session/cookies are cleared)

To retrieve session data:

PHP Code:
$logged_in $_SESSION['logged_in'];

// or:

$logged_in$session->logged_in;

// or:

$logged_in $session->get('logged_in');

// or session helper

$logged_in session('logged_in');

// Or to get it all in an array

$data $_SESSION;

// or:

$data $session->get(); 

I prefer to use the session helper makes things easy.

PHP Code:
// Session helper

$logged_in session('logged_in');

// or you call the other metods like so

$logged_in session()->get('logged_in');

$logged_in session()->set('logged_in'true); 

The session helper makes it easier to read the code to me.
What did you Try? What did you Get? What did you Expect?

Joined CodeIgniter Community 2009.  ( Skype: insitfx )

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB