Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
eCommerce Project

[eluser]yelirekim[/eluser]
Well the scope of the framework is going to be pretty narrow on purpose, there are a few main areas that I'll focus on though:

1. Making all HTML related functions SSL aware (i already have done this)
2. Standard interface for using payment gateways (i'm thinking of making it 'driver' based, so you would write a small class that hooks up whatever gateway you want to the system)
3. Image management (upload and associate with products)
4. Ambiguous product definitions
5. User account management
6. Order history
7. Preloaded shipping / taxes information
8. Standardized (but customizable still) checkout

The basic idea of what I'm doing is to make absolutely no assumptions about what you are going to be selling with the cart, maybe you're selling one product as a paid for download and the entire e-commerce store is actually just one page + checkout, or maybe you're selling thousands of products with complicated attributes that needs a special AJAXy configuration page. In order to appeal to a wide range of uses the scope of the project actually becomes less ambitious, and is going to focus only on things that every ecommerce store will need. I'm not looking at releasing a full featured framework that will allow anyone to create an e-commerce store, I'm looking at releasing something geared towards programmers that makes launching ecommerce stores easier.

[eluser]mania[/eluser]
I too wrote ecommerce with CI (see www.gtglass.com and www.riversports.com)

there are so many little things to consider. it can add up to a huge amount of time especially as your clients requirements become a moving target! can you add cms, mailing list, dealer locate, real time shipping, discounts if they buy A then they get B half off, on and on.

i think i'll rewrite it clean now that most of those are nailed down.

[eluser]nmormino[/eluser]
My boss and I are writing an ecommerce system on CI right now. Once I get the system built to some basic requirements we're going to release the code. (I still need to figure out how to release my code along side CI's) if anyone has info on that I would appreciate it. We're wanting to use the MIT license.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB