Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Kohana 2.1.1 vs CodeIgniter 1.6.1

[eluser]wiredesignz[/eluser]
And don't forget that there are potentially 54777 (*checks memberlist) developers using CI, K can shove that in their pipe and smoke it. (but they'll propably steal or copy our ideas as usual)

[eluser]xwero[/eluser]
[quote author="beemr" date="1208954866"] Mambo is being rewritten to use Cake. [/quote]
Wow that is news for me. this would attract more people to Mambo again after loosing them to Joomla.

[eluser]xwero[/eluser]
[quote author="wiredesignz" date="1208955179"] K can shove that in their pipe and smoke it. (but they'll propably steal or copy our ideas as usual)[/quote]
K has some pretty smart people in their community, for instance nmweb. They can come up with their own ideas.

They don't have the physical resources, there are 100 new ideas on this forum every day. (ish)

[eluser]GSV Sleeper Service[/eluser]
I've never heard of Kohana, so can't really comment.

but one con (for me anyway) with CI is the 'smiley' helper.
this is just a personal thing, I bloody hate smileys, and I can't see why it's included with CI, it would make a nice add-on, but having it as a part of the core is a strange decision, it reminds me of seeing games installed on windows servers...

:lol: @ GSV

[eluser]xwero[/eluser]
They might not have as many ideas but it are the ideas that are poured into code that matter. And if i see the K community libraries, they look more advanced that the CI community libraries, probably for a part because K only supports php5.

[eluser]GSV Sleeper Service[/eluser]
[quote author="wiredesignz" date="1208956226"]:lol: @ GSV[/quote]

grrrr! :exclaim:

[eluser]esra[/eluser]
[quote author="xwero" date="1208955346"][quote author="beemr" date="1208954866"] Mambo is being rewritten to use Cake. [/quote]
Wow that is news for me. this would attract more people to Mambo again after loosing them to Joomla.[/quote]

There is also a PHP5 MVC fork of 4.6 in alpha called the Aliro CMS.

[eluser]esra[/eluser]
[quote author="xwero" date="1208956481"]They might not have as many ideas but it are the ideas that are poured into code that matter. And if i see the K community libraries, they look more advanced that the CI community libraries, probably for a part because K only supports php5.[/quote]

Yes and it's also smarter than CI in many respects partially because of PHP5 and partially because of conventions established for framework design. The Kohana concept of modules provides a nice solution for extending the framework core allowing multiple applications to share the same modules and classes included in those modules, support for vendor libraries, the core is i18n compliant within the limitations of PHP5 (automatically supports mbstring if enabled or uses php-utf8 string handlers if not enabled; utf-8 validation problems for most languages may have been eliminated), helpers are extensible, controllers tend to be lighter due to the use of conventions, etc. A lot of repetitive requests for certain new features here already found their way into the Kohana framework, so progress on meeting user requests is much more responsive.

A major advantage is that many more community developed contributions found their way into Kohana, not just from the Kohana community but also from the CI community. For example, their ORM was based on a solution developed here and later abandoned (based on Canglan's ORM and then enhanced, I think or could be mistaken).

I was expecting to see better utilization of certain PHP5 features such as intefaces and abstract classes as a means of adding more abstraction to the framework (might happen over time, but seems a mystery at the moment). If I recall, they have some performance related arguments for not following this course.

I monitor progress there, but don't use it so the above is based on reading Kohana community forum posts since the project started. Also, the above does not come near to describing all of the bells and whistles added to the framework or the removal of CI libraries such as Loader or adding libraries such as View.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB