Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
CI Video Tutorials (A Modest Proposal)

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
First, thank you Derek Jones. I found those tutorials informative and clear. I think I learned more about PHP in the 6 hours it took me to do the "Blog in 20 minutes" one. It actually probably only took 2 hours if you don't count the times I walked away because I got frustrated with PHPMyAdmin or just needed to clear my head.

Anyway, I was left wanting more.

I am looking for the most basic of blogging platforms, but am also trying to learn a lot of this myself, so thought if I went through the tutorial, I'd end up with something I could really use as a nice start.

What Got me thinking about what I am going to suggest are the last few lines of the second tutorial. The paraphrase and potentially put works in Derek's mouth, "as you can see with only a couple more hours of work, you can have a robust site." Well, sounds like a perfect 5 part video tutorial/project!

And with the work on EE 2.0 rollout and such I am sure you have the time, so please get on it!

I was a bit disappointed by the fact that the tutorial has you populating the blog fields through "scaffolding." I mean that was cool and all, but without a log in to some kind of CP, this really isn't a functional blog yet. And the mentions of validation and authentication and such at the end let me know I have a lot more to learn before I can even get close to "rolling my own."

Don't get me wrong, I am NOT complaining, I found the videos to be helpful, just not what I was hoping for. I did learn quite a bit (about twice as much as I knew the day before). I'm new to this, but know you have to start somewhere.

Anyway, as much fun as I had going through these two, I wish there were more. I did skip ahead, since I am only about a quarter of the way through the documentation, but the videos were way more exciting than the docs.

So thanks, and let me know when the new tutorials are posted.

christopher....
(not really looking a gift horse in the mouth, just acting like it)

[eluser]Jamie Rumbelow[/eluser]
I think that the guys at EllisLabs are a bit to busy to be recording tutorials, but I'm not! Check out my website where I wil be posting a 3-part series on how to make a fully functional blog system in CI!

http://www.jamierumbelow.net

[eluser]php-zbatev[/eluser]
[quote author="Jemgames" date="1209077774"]I think that the guys at EllisLabs are a bit to busy to be recording tutorials, but I'm not! Check out my website where I wil be posting a 3-part series on how to make a fully functional blog system in CI!

http://www.jamierumbelow.net[/quote]

I wanted to see that tutorial you were talking about but your site have too much 404 errors are you in a site maintenance or something please PM me when I can access your tutorial Im so thirsty of tutorials now because I'm new to CI, thanks a lot I'll be waiting...

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB