Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Making interfaces to database tables

[eluser]jamesstarter[/eluser]
I have a number of projects which basically have the same requirements:

1) Create interfaces to data tables, such that entries can be added, edited, and deleted.
2) Make the form interfaces nice, so that for instance some fields are drop-downs, and users can easily add other values to the dropdowns if necessary.
3) Make the data searchable in the same interface.
4) Export the data in various formats.

I want it to be as clean and simple as possible to create the interfaces, and also flexible.

Note that sometimes I will need to display data from various linked tables.

Do you think the CodeIgniter framework is appropriate for this? Having had a quick look at it it seems appropriate, but my past experience is that these frameworks work well for simple things, but then become more of a burden than an assistance when you try to do things that are more complex.

(Note: I have created various applications recently using DabbleDB. I really like it, it makes development quick and simple. However, I recently did a more complex and important project with it and it turned out to be less than satisfactory - it is slow and it is actually not very friendly if you want to use PHP to get data in, you basically have to do Curl POSTs, and its flakey, which is why I am now assessing frameworks.)

[eluser]kaosweaver[/eluser]
The framework doesn't build those things for you automatically, however, building them out hasn't really taken me a whole lot of time.

Thanks kaosweaver. I guess my issue is that I need to do this a lot, I have say five applications each with 20 or so data tables, so I want to find the best framework specifically for creating user-friendly interfaces to databases, so if anyone has any suggestions that would be great.

[eluser]benofsky[/eluser]
Take a look at CodeExtinguisher http://www.codeextinguisher.com/ . It auto-generates admin interfaces, which sounds like it would do the job.

Thanks Benofsky, I will.

Wow, that looks like it does what I am looking for. My only reservation is that perhaps it is a bit *too* big in scope, I prefer small code-bases that do one job well rather than huge ones (which is what attracted me to codeigniter in the first place). But I will investigate further...

[eluser]minimal design[/eluser]
[quote author="jamesstarter" date="1209505449"]Wow, that looks like it does what I am looking for. My only reservation is that perhaps it is a bit *too* big in scope, I prefer small code-bases that do one job well rather than huge ones (which is what attracted me to codeigniter in the first place). But I will investigate further...[/quote]

Codex does exactly what you're looking for. It is somewhat redundant in the way it's setup if you want to be picky, but but you can have an admin up and running in 15 mn... seriously.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB