Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Need suggestion on "Call to a member function save() on null"

Hello There
I am new to codeigniter here.
I am learning codeigniter 4 by following the user_guide provided by codeigniter.com. I followed the lesson page by page and everyting is ok until I reached this section "Create news items

" (https://codeigniter.com/user_guide/tutor...items.html) which is the basic tutorial about how to save data (news item) to database.
I have problem with the example code as shown below
public function create()
{
    $model = model(NewsModel::class);

if ($this->request->getMethod() === 'post' && $this->validate([
        'title' => 'required|min_length[3]|max_length[255]',
        'body'  => 'required',
    ])) {
        $model->save([
            'title' => $this->request->getPost('title'),
            'slug'  => url_title($this->request->getPost('title'), '-', true),
            'body'  => $this->request->getPost('body'),
        ]);

echo view('news/success');
    } else {
        echo view('templates/header', ['title' => 'Create a news item']);
        echo view('news/create');
        echo view('templates/footer');
    }
}

After running the controller I got error message which is "Call to a member function save() on null".

any suggestion on this? I copied and pasted the code directly to my editor and follow everything from the tutorial but I got this error.

Thank you very much

(This post was last modified: 01-13-2022, 08:54 AM by captain-sensible. Edit Reason: added text )

whats your database situation and which one are you using ?

member function is same as class method ; either no data to pass to database or something up with database and its set up . Don't forget the data you pass in for fields has to match field names in database.

A lateral thinking approach might be to populate database, just a manual population of a couple of entries, then see if you can retrieve data using a contoller and pass to view. if that works then try and save.

The less going on the easier to see the mistake . I started with an sqlite database in fact I stuck with it , since WordPress has proved that security of MySQL or Maria is not necessarily more secure than sqlite. IN fact I stuck with sqlite for web. Also you can simply use sqlitebrowser to view /populate data quickly - no phpMyAdmin

A general approach would be to start trimming out the bloat - all that validation and increase output of error . At line 35 in app/Config/Logger.php set it to :

Code:
public $threshold = 9;

hopefully it might be more specific
CMS CI4     I use Arch Linux by the way 

Does the model exist? Is the namespace correct?
The model() function returns NULL only if the model class is not found.

You did not created NewsModel . So thats why you are getting that error . Create Modal
Code:
<?php

namespace App\Models;

use CodeIgniter\Model;

class NewsModel extends Model
{
    protected $table = 'news';

protected $allowedFields = ['title', 'slug', 'body'];
}

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB