Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
newbie help with database view and lack of errors

[eluser]neilw[/eluser]
Hello,
I'm brand new to code igniter and it's looking really good Smile

However, I'm having a couple of problems which I imagine are embarrassingly simple. I decided to do a simple test of retrieving data from a database and outputting the contents to the screen using a controller/view (without the model):

In my controller class I added this function:
Code:
function games()
    {
        $this->load->database();
        $query=$this->db->get('retro_games');
        $ret="";
        foreach($query->result() as $row) {
            $ret .= $row->name . '<br />';
        }
        $data['gamelist']=$ret;
        $this->load->view('gameslist',$data);
    }
In my view I first tried to view it:
Code:
&lt;body&gt;
&lt;?php echo $gamelist;
?&gt;
&lt;/body&gt;
All works fine, however I wanted to take the string generation out of the controller and put it in the view so that the view can determine how to view the data, but I can't figure out how to correctly pass in and iterate through the data. I tried passing in $query, e.g.
$this->load->view('gameslist',$query);

but I don't know what to do in the view as you don't get $query, but the contents of it. I tried passing in $query->result(); but again I didn't know what to use in the for loop, e.g.
&lt;?php foreach($xxxxx as $row) {} ?&gt;

Can anyone help?

In my controller I thought I put in a correct bit of code, which turned out to be wrong, however no errors are generated and there is nothing in the log file, I simply get a completely blank screen with no generated html. Errors are turned on and I've got the log set to everything, e.g. following my code above I tried to chain things together:

$query=$this->db->get('retro_games')->order_by('name','asc');

But there was no error and the view wasn't called afterwards as there was no html? This also happened in my view where I put the wrong syntax in some php, btw.

Many thanks.

[eluser]Mirage[/eluser]
Hi, welcome to CI!

Controller:
Code:
function games()
{
    $this->load->database();
    $query=$this->db->get('retro_games');
    $games= ($query && $query->num_rows()>0) ? $query->result(): array();

$this->load->view('gameslist',compact('games'));
}

View:
Code:
&lt;? foreach($games as $game): ?&gt;
&lt;?=$game?&gt;<br/>
&lt;? endforeach; ?&gt;

Tip: Watch the CI tutorials on this site!

[eluser]neilw[/eluser]
thanks, I did watch the tutorials but as it's 20 minutes long and the examples on it aren't supplied with the release (perhaps they should?) I didn't want to watch it all again as it might not have contained the answers. I need to brush up on my php as well as I never knew compact existed Smile

How about my second question regarding blank outputs? I can't see anything wrong with my apache or php configuration.

Thanks again.

btw, you've just fixed my other problem as I couldn't get 'endforeach' to work (I'm from old php 3/4 days still) and just realised it's the missing colon.

[eluser]Mirage[/eluser]
You're welcome.

My example probably isn't the best 'beginners' code. Using compact to process local variables to an array is just something I've grown accustomed to.

As far as blank output, it's usually a syntax problem. There are circumstances under which an error will not be reported where you expect it. I think it's largely related to the PHP 'error_reporting' mumbo jumbo that CI taps into. Was really the only way before we got exceptions in PHP5 but those really aren't used in CI because of PHP4 compatibility.

- In your config, set your 'log_threshold' to 4
- In your index.php add this line: ini_set('display_errors',1));
- tail -f your CI logfile and the apache error_log

Between the things above you should discover where your error is.

Cheers!

[eluser]neilw[/eluser]
Thanks, the ini setting was already on for full error reporting. I found the error in the apache error.log file.

The error generated is usually output to the screen though, it's only when using codeignite that it's failing to do so?

[eluser]Mirage[/eluser]
In all my years of PHP coding I never found out. Or perhaps, I never bothered to find out. It's a combination of capturing error reporting, output buffering and where in the chain something happens. For example you're loading your views at a late point, if something was output already then display errors may not do anything. Something of that sort. Output buffer level related perhaps.

I still have a lot of PHP4 coding practices but personally I can't wait until CI goes PHP5 only or at least deploys a full PHP5 branch. That would probably help me adopt PHP5 coding principles better. I wish Zend had done a better job with supplanting PHP4. Or worked the object model a bit more. It's really put the PHP community in an ugly longstanding dilemma. The future appears bright however.

Cheers!

[eluser]neilw[/eluser]
ok thanks, you can mark this thread as successfully completed. I'm busy converting my site now and it's great. I just wish eclipse could recognise variables in php so it auto completes them for me when I type -> Smile

btw, I have the same dilemma choosing mysqli. I keep meaning to, but I always end up with mysql.

[eluser]Mirage[/eluser]
This may not be an option for you - but Zend IDE for Eclipse does all of that. I don't think I could have accomplished as much as I did in past few years if it wasn't for Zend IDE [and CI].

Cheers!

[eluser]neilw[/eluser]
Hello,
Thanks, I've got it working now and it was painful Wink

Your code:
Code:
&lt;? foreach($games as $game): ?&gt;
&lt;?=$game?&gt;<br/>
&lt;? endforeach; ?&gt;

isn't right and I couldn't at first figure it out, because it was producing an array of objects and each object had a variable of the field name, so I eventually worked it out (I'm used to using arrays of non-objects):

$game->name;

where name is the name of the field.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB