Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
How to build a Search engine

[eluser]Référencement Google[/eluser]
Hi,

That may be a stupid question, and not specially CI related, but I am interested to find out how I can build a search engine to index websites that I can add myself or that people would propose. A kind of link directory but real in the search engine way (eg. like Google)

Do you know existing scripts, even commercial one?

[eluser]xwero[/eluser]
I wonder what good would it do to create and index yourself? What will it have extra over custom google or the google search api or even something like rollyo?

Nothing extra functionality, my goal is not to do a Google clone or to make the next incredible search engine of the web. To explain you, I have a client that want this to index websites concerning only his professional sector, but he want that it looks like a search engine (he don't want a link directory like I have in my signature for example)

[eluser]Tom Glover[/eluser]
Create a link directory style db structure and crud, but then instead of showing categories and links on page make the user search to get results.

Yes, maybe you are right Tom, I was thinking that too but I wanted to have other people's thought before start building something myself. There should exists some ready made scripts built I didn't find something that store links localy, all what I've found use a known search engine API.

[eluser]Tom Glover[/eluser]
if you could find a dmoz api then you could search there listing, and add ones as well, but you could also limit it to the one category. Unlike a google api which would search all google indexes.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB