Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
ODBC Questions

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
My desktop application uses Firebird as its database back-end. I'm going to use CI to develop a web-based enquiry tool. As CI doesn't natively support Firebird or Interbase, I was going to use ODBC to connect to the database instead. My questions are :-

Will using ODBC with CI have an adverse affect on performance?

How do I initiate an ODBC connection with CI? The documentation makes a passing reference to it, but doesn't explicitly say how to go about it? I've tried specifying the system DSN name in the hostname and 'odbc' in the dbdriver, but it doesn't seem to work.

How easy is it to create new database wrappers?

Cheers,

Andy

[eluser]Mirage[/eluser]
Quote:Will using ODBC with CI have an adverse affect on performance?

It can. PHP ODBC functions behavior varies with drivers. E.g. unix_odbc allows things that aren't available with iODBC. I've done a few site connecting to an Oracle DB via [i]ODBC and couldn't limit query results, having to fetch the entire (huge) result set in order to do my work. It's like that if you're deploying on Windows, this will be less of an issue.

Quote:How do I initiate an ODBC connection with CI? The documentation makes a passing reference to it, but doesn't explicitly say how to go about it? I've tried specifying the system DSN name in the hostname and 'odbc' in the dbdriver, but it doesn't seem to work.

Using the DNS name is exactly how it's supposed to work and it always has for me. Make sure your DSN is a system wide DSN.

Quote:How easy is it to create new database wrappers?

I don't think it's hard at all from a CI perspective, but it may be a bit more challenging depending on the database (and related php functionality). The API isn't explicitly documented but it's fairly straight forward to replace the innards of most functions with the php equivalent calls.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB