Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Sessions Using Database, with the Session Class from CodeIgniter

[eluser]Bruno De Barros[/eluser]
Saving Session Data in a cookie for me is not really a very good thing, because it provides the user with data that fills up his HTTP requests. If I spend all the 4KB with session data, and my website has a image gallery with 100 images... He will have to send 4KB for each of the images. Remember that cookies are sent from/to every single HTTP request on that website.

And for a dial-up or a phone user... 4KB is a massive amount of data. For the former, it means big loading times. For the latter, it means spending money AND waiting.

I don't want that, and I really want to migrate to CodeIgniter (currently I am using my own home made framework), because it looks so good, on the User Guide...

Will the custom session data be kept in cookies if I use a database or only the session ID, and the custom session data is kept in the database?

[eluser]Chris Newton[/eluser]
The data is still kept in cookies. If you want to store the data in the database, you can use a replacement sessions library. Take a look at this wiki article, it compares the variety of alternate libraries and what they can do:

wiki entry

[eluser]Bruno De Barros[/eluser]
Thank you very much, this is exactly what I was looking for.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB