Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Which ORM Should i choose?

[eluser]nirbhab[/eluser]
Hello Guys,

I went through, some research on ORM, and found few ORM's,
But very confused, which one should i use?

1. CoughPHP
2. Doctrine
3. ezPDO
4. Junction
5. ORMer
6. Propel
7. SilverStripe
8. Xyster

Please help me choose one, i am new to all....

[eluser]nmweb[/eluser]
Doctrine is a very mature and fully featured ORM. It would be my choice if I were to pick an ORM package. However, there are some libraries for CI which also provide ORM though simpler which I usually use.

[eluser]adwin[/eluser]
CI Active Record is not fully ORM. For me it just simplified my sql querie Smile

I would like to have fully ORM like one in Rails ... (I think I should wait for Ignited Record instead) Wink

[eluser]Rick Jolly[/eluser]
I'm with nmweb. Doctrine is probably the most feature complete option (but I wouldn't call it mature since 1.0 hasn't been released yet). If you want something simpler you can use this popular rails inspired Active Record library which uses naming conventions to reduce code: http://ellislab.com/forums/viewthread/61192/.

[eluser]nirbhab[/eluser]
Thank you all, for your points, but DB_DataObject of pear and doctrine are making me little confused? among these two, there is a fight in my mind, should i use doctrine?

[eluser]Rick Jolly[/eluser]
I used DB_DataObject on an ecomm site before CI came along. It's good, but it's not as sophisticated as Doctrine. I think there were about 3 different methods for joining tables with DB_DataObject. With Doctrine, the orm relationships are defined in the table classes, so you don't worry about joins for each query. You can define your relationships in one place with DB_DataObject using an ini file. I'd steer away from that ini file approach though. You've got your schema ini, your relationships ini, and your dataobject classes. Too many files to maintain and sync. With Doctrine, everything you need is in the class file.

[eluser]sikkle[/eluser]
Doctrine all the way, for his community, for his documentation and it is a full ORM.

good luck !

[eluser]adwin[/eluser]
I will try doctrine ... it sounds good and have nice documentation (check this one as well ... http://codeigniter.com/wiki/Using_Doctri...e_Igniter/)

has anyone using doctrine in real project .. is it stable enough ?

hmm just came out of my thinking ... should ci integrated with doctrine as one package ?Smile

[eluser]nirbhab[/eluser]
All points telling me to use, doctrine, cheers to all, i don't think that CI should integrate with Doctrine or any other package, as CI has its own identity, If Active Records are being extended to Full ORM, It would be great using CI, i fact CI is still Gr8... As PHP Framework like Sympony and Zend are full ORM based....some day CI will also...

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB