Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
What is an 'acceptable' Total Execution Time?

[eluser]Lone[/eluser]
Just thought I would put the question out to everyone else here on what they think is an acceptable Total Execution Time for a page.

I am just getting a bit concerned on the time taking to load one of our pages on a clients site - its all ok for now but it there was some heavy track I fear overloading the server.

In my opinion I think an acceptable time is below 0.100 - the page in question is around 0.075. I might be being a little tight here but this is on a server that isn't being worked all that hard, for now, but if it was I am concerned about this execution time.

What times are you seeing on your site?

[eluser]wiredesignz[/eluser]
Depnding on the specs of the server, but I'm seeing 0.0265s using Modular Extensions (3 controllers loaded) on a new server Apache/Linux/PHP5.

http://www.ezybuycars.net.nz (see footer left)

[eluser]beemr[/eluser]
How about referencing your Loading Time Base Classes as the control? Let's say we only autoload the 'database' library (I have no choice).

Laptop XAMPP Pentium M 1.6G

Loading Time Base Classes 0.0837
Controller Execution Time ( Welcome / Index ) 0.4908
Total Execution Time 0.5870

Also, you can search for 'Loading Time Base Classes' and Google has cached pages from a lot of CI devs out there.

[eluser]beemr[/eluser]
Whoops. Forgot to disable logging. That shouldn't be part of the control. Here's the real control time:

Loading Time Base Classes 0.0283
Controller Execution Time ( Welcome / Index ) 0.2097
Total Execution Time 0.2441

[eluser]wiredesignz[/eluser]
From output profiler above:
Code:
Loading Time Base Classes   0.0031
Controller Execution Time ( Default Controller / Showroom )   0.0214
Total Execution Time   0.0246

[eluser]louis w[/eluser]
I do not think that is terrible. Have you fully refactored?

Mine for comparison...

Loading Time Base Classes 0.0129
Controller Execution Time ( Site ) 0.0683
Total Execution Time 0.0812

This is with 1 controller, number of libraries, xsl transformation, and 6 db queries.

Localhost. 2 x 2.8 Quad Core Xeon / 6GB RAM.

Have not tested it on a remote server.

[eluser]Spockz[/eluser]
What I learned is that what is acceptable time to wait for the page to load is variable. If you click on something that shows a lot of stuff, users are far more forgiving than if you are just showing one letter i.e..

However, for most humans a loading time of 0.1/0.15 seconds feels instant. So if you are able to stay below of that. I think you'll be fine.

Times:
Loading Time Base Classes 0.0151
Controller Execution Time ( Files / Index ) 0.0298
Total Execution Time 0.0452

Specs:
Debian VMWare machine on a quadcore 1.8Ghz XEON machine. With not so fast drives (unfortunately).

[eluser]Derek Allard[/eluser]
I once optimized the CI profiler so much that my total execution time was actually negative. Not that my friends is optimization!

[eluser]Spockz[/eluser]
Auch, that says a lot.

[eluser]Pascal Kriete[/eluser]
You knew it was going to happen (benchmark.php line 87):
Code:
return number_format(($sm + $es) - ($em + $ss), $decimals);

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB