Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Continue my product?

[eluser]stuffradio[/eluser]
I'm a bit discouraged to continue making my product. There is one called Bamboo Invoice that's open source. I wanted to make one to sell, but why wouldn't someone use one that's free?

I was going to have PayPal, etc. integrated in to it. What are your thoughts?

[eluser]wiredesignz[/eluser]
Just make it better. Wink

[eluser]David U[/eluser]
Lots of people use Microsoft products and pay a lot for them, despite the fact there are free equivalents for almost all of them. So there are still lots of illogical people out there if you want to make money.

You'd have to work hard to do better than Bamboo Invoice, though, since it's written by one of the gurus behind CI. (Derek Allard)

As a small businessperson, what I'd like to see is a simple accounts package - going a bit further than invoicing, so it can include payments out, record all transactions on, and reconcile, two or three company bank accounts, credit card accounts, etc., do end of year statements and quarterly VAT statements (VAT is a tax we have in Europe) and a few other boring accountant things. None of it is rocket science, it's just that you fall asleep before your accountant finishes explaining it to you.

The current packages (Sage, Intuit, etc) are all expensive and clunky. (eg Intuit insists on using IE as its interface.) A free or cheap open-source package, without unwanted bells and whistles, would be really worth having, and not too difficult to design.

Derek already has the basics in place and if he ever got round to tweaking BI to do these things, there's a HUGE market.... and if he doesn't, maybe you could?

[eluser]Michael Wales[/eluser]
I say go for it - one of my biggest projects right now I intend to sell (well, modules will be sold - the main product is open source). All of the modules for it have been done before (Freshbooks, Bamboo Invoice, Highrise, Basecamp, Backpack).

I just intend to attempt to make mine better and offer the convenience of the entire freelance toolset under one roof.

[eluser]Brandon Dickson[/eluser]
You also might note that many people want to pay for a product, they feel uncomfortable with getting something for free ( what seems to good to be true probably is ) it's analogous to wanting to marry the virgin in lieu of the town whore. ( yeah I know I called CI a whore, but it's not my perspective... )

-Brandon

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB