Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
isolating admin, then isolating single instance of CI -- best practices question

[eluser]chrisco23[/eluser]
I've been building sites on CI for a few years but I'm still finding better ways to do some things with it.

I tried searching and reading a number of threads. I know some of this has been discussed but I couldn't find exactly what I wanted (you try reading the 739 threads on the search "admin").

I am looking at doing 2 things. The first led to the second.

1. First, I just want to isolate all my admin MVC for a specific site. Ideally, the admin becomes unreachable from the main site, and is reachable only by passing through a .htaccess-protected entry to an address like: admin.mysite.com. One thread I read suggested putting admin controllers in "/controllers/admin". What does this accomplish other than an improvement in directory structure??

1.a. Somewhere I read that all of the /application directory could be moved above docroot. What is the best practice for keeping the most code above docroot?

2. In discussing my admin goals with a friend of mine, I learned that he runs all his apps off a single instance of CI. This sounds like it would be great for maintenance, upgrades. However, he uses symlinks to accomplish some of this. I'm worried about using symlinks for 2 reasons: A) Not sure how well that plays with my Subversion-based installations, and B) Not sure how well that plays with the fact that I build my sites on a local (WAMP5) webserver on Windoze (I have my reasons).

Thanks in advance for your suggestions. I don't want to go down this road with 4 live sites (plus dev and staging versions) until I feel 100% about things.

Chris

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB