Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Why is CI Considered Bad Practice for Big Projects?

[eluser]MCrittenden[/eluser]
I've read in a few different places on the forums that CI isn't recommended for big projects or really high traffic sites. Why is that? Does it have something to do with the level of customization you'd have to do to get it working like you need it? Or security concerns?

Or is CI perfectly fine for big projects after all?

[eluser]Pascal Kriete[/eluser]
I have no idea where this point of view comes from, but it's absolute nonsense.

There is a right and a wrong tool for every project. You wouldn't use Rails for something like a messaging app (hint, hint). In the same way CodeIgniter may not always be the best choice. The first thing to do is to take a look at what you're trying to build. How large is the current user base? How much growth do you expect in the future? Where will it be used? Who will be using it?

CodeIgniter is flexible enough to handle a lot of environments, so it's a great choice for distributed programs like EE. However, if you do happen to build the next twitter, youtube, or facebook - expect to drop useful stuff like active record and the database drivers pretty quickly Wink .

CI is perfectly fine for big projects.

[eluser]sikkle[/eluser]
I am one of those who says Ci isnt the best solution for big project, because big project usually mean big team of worker out there.

The developpement process isnt just a question of how the framework is fast or efficient, money talk many time in this kind of situation.

This is true out of the box, but, at any time you can include ORM by yourself, use migration to track database change and progress, you can add Modular Extension to let people work on module totally separatly, you can make many things that some other framework claim to have built-in.

The enterprise level discussion can be very very emotional.

That being said, honestly, i prefer the ci way who let you add whatever you want, than force you to use what is there. But the framework grow each weeks, not you can take this framework to enterprise level easyly. If i go one year before, it wasnt the case so much.

Inparo got it totally right, but honestly at the moment, i don't see much application that Ci can't handle with the tools build by the community.

So to me Ci is totally perfect for big project if you know how to use it well.

Good luck with your choice.

[eluser]GSV Sleeper Service[/eluser]
[quote author="sikkle" date="1213174993"]I am one of those who says Ci isnt the best solution for big project, because big project usually mean big team of worker out there.
[/quote]

make your mind up!

CI is fine for 'big' projects.

[eluser]ICEcoffee[/eluser]
Quote:
Quote: sikkle - 11 June 2008 04:03 AM

I am one of those who says Ci isnt the best solution for big project, because big project usually mean big team of worker out there.

make your mind up!

CI is fine for ‘big’ projects.

Easy sleeper dude. I think sikkle's English is not top notch. I would have cut him some slack and assumed he was trying to say: "I'm one of those people who think CI may not be appropriate for big projects......... because corporates have these considerations....".

A bit of grace is better than a boot up the bum. :-)

[eluser]Gavin Blair[/eluser]
Some companies will run the other way when you use the words "open source" too. You'd be surprised how many businesspeople actually believe it is a communist plot.

[eluser]sikkle[/eluser]
Sorry about that, my english isnt perfect at all i agree Smile thanks ICEcoffee.

What i was suppose to write is :

I WAS one of those who says Ci isnt the best solution for big project, because big project usually mean big team of worker out there.

The WAS is very important Smile

see ya guys

[eluser]nirbhab[/eluser]
CI is the best, light weight, it uses only 5MB RAM of my server, gr8 isn't it...guys other framework are so waaastee that people fear to begin, in fact CI so easy to understand. so friendly forum and docs are awesome...so for large projects.... Design pattern followed by the CI is best as far as i know. Cake is also good. but not so easy as CI. Big projects are given to expert programmers or experience people, they know how to tackle problems, whether it is CI or any other framework. It never matters.....but i am in favour of CI and will always.

[eluser]Chris Williams[/eluser]
[quote author="inparo" date="1213169984"]
CodeIgniter is flexible enough to handle a lot of environments, so it's a great choice for distributed programs like EE. However, if you do happen to build the next twitter, youtube, or facebook - expect to drop useful stuff like active record and the database drivers pretty quickly Wink .
[/quote]
Now you have me thinking. I really like the active record function. How would it be bad for popular web apps?

[eluser]Jamie Rumbelow[/eluser]
Well, actually, if you look at it, CodeIgniter and Rails share a lot of similarities, and are both as heavy, in terms of workload for the server (Infact, Rails is heavier) and Twitter manages to run on rails with over 3 Million server requests an hour, or something like that.

No, CodeIgniter is not BUILT to handle extremely high-traffic sites, but that is not reason why it cant, with a little bit of optimisation.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB