Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
is Oracle good enough with Codeigniter ?

[eluser]adwin[/eluser]
Hi,

I was asked to do a project using php and oracle. I think I will use Codeigniter for this project. I was doing another project using mysql and codeigniter and everything works very well... can i get the same thing with oracle ?

has you ever using oracle (10g or XE) with Codeigniter (1.62) in your project ? and tell me is it nice enough or i should use another one.

I also thinking to use php doctrine as orm in that project. is php doctrine compatible enough with oracle ? (just for doing insert update delete trigger and some store procedures)

thanks

[eluser]James Bolongan[/eluser]
I can say Code igniter is the best web application framework espicially in dealing with any databases......

Yes, oracle is good with code igniter and it is really easy to connect in the db just like the way youve done in mysql.....

Actually our first project use a an oracle10g and we try to use the CI and it seems that it can do a lot of functionalities like insert,update,delete and search and it is easy to configure the config folder.

Just use to the oci8 driver to connect in the database and you can see that it just really the same in connecting in mysql....

[eluser]adwin[/eluser]
how about using oracle and the active record in ci ?
is AC able to generate syntax like in oracle (for example, join in mysql and oracle are different)

Based on our project, there is no problem about on the Active Record Class of the CI.

Actually, you have the option to use either to use the active record class or just do a simple query.

example1:using active record class
Code:
$where = "where A.id = B.id";
        $this->db->where($where);
        $this->db->orderby('A.id');
        $this->db->get('A,B'');

example2Sadsimple query)
Code:
$this->db->query("select * from A,B where A.id = B.id order by A.id asc");

Best on my experience, I already connect to a database like Interbase, Oracle, Postgrey, MSSQL, MYSQL using the CI.
And most of the libraries of CI really works and theres is no problem I enountered.

[eluser]sikkle[/eluser]
All true Smile

[eluser]xwero[/eluser]
[quote author="James Bolongan" date="1213350844"]example1:using active record class
Code:
$where = "where A.id = B.id";
        $this->db->get('A,B'');
[/quote]
shouldn't that be
Code:
$where = "A.id = B.id"; // removed where
        $this->db->get('A,B'');
i'm a nitpicking fool Wink

[eluser]Derek Allard[/eluser]
AR should abstract out the syntactic differences for you, but the Oracle lib was originally built for oci8. While its largely compatible, some users have reported troubles with Oracle that have never been fully investigated.

[eluser]adwin[/eluser]
[quote author="Derek Allard" date="1213402726"]AR should abstract out the syntactic differences for you, but the Oracle lib was originally built for oci8. While its largely compatible, some users have reported troubles with Oracle that have never been fully investigated.[/quote]

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
I'm currently using CI (Active Record) with Oracle 10.3 and it works very well in general.

The one issue that I have not been able to resolve to my satisfaction is the apparent caching of queries or their results; not sure which. The behavior is that if more than one query is made in a request then only the first query returns the expected result, subsequent queries seem to return the same result as the first query. This may well have something to do with my Oracle or CI settings, or my inexperience with CI (1 month).

I was able to work around the problem by making a small edit to the CI oracle driver; I'm not really happy with this solution, I'm probably missing some functionality in CI to clear the previous query. I'll post the edit that I made if someone wants it, I'm not posting it now because it probably does more harm than good.

--On a side note I am also hitting an AS400 machine (running db2 v5.4) successfully using the ODBC driver.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB