Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Future of CodeIgniter?

[eluser]Milos Dakic[/eluser]
Hi guys,

I wanted to ask the developers/community, what are their thoughts on the future of CodeIgniter? Maybe what we can look forward to in new versions or in the next update/release?

It would be good to know if there will be more development done on CodeIgniter, and how big /extended will it get.

All comments welcome.

Thanks in advance.

[eluser]xwero[/eluser]
One new feature that is out of the bag for a long time is a javascript wrapper library.

The people at Ellislab are hard at work to get EE based on CI out of the door and then we can expect faster development i guess.

[eluser]AgentPhoenix[/eluser]
I'm really looking forward to the next version of CI. I seem to recall someone from EllisLab saying that they thought the next version of CI could possibly be out before EE 2.0. Crossing my fingers!

[eluser]xwero[/eluser]
I don't think it's an unlikely scenario. Give the geeks, us, something to sink their teeth in to discover bugs they could have overlooked. More eyes on new stuff is always a good thing.

[quote author="Sock Puppet" date="1213839604"]To be honest, I doubt it. EE is still their commercial product, after all, and they would want to get that out ASAP. Since it's entirely written in CI, though, there should be a few enhancements and perhaps new classes as well. Interesting times, gentlemen Smile[/quote]

These were my inital thoughts on the matter. I think that CI will get more features, but since EE is moduler (as far as I know), we won't see all that much in CI. When you think about it, any improvement is good. I just hope that more libraries get added, although this does not mean that CI has to be bloated. The libraries could be optional, as in we download them if we need to. Maybe a MooTools style download?

[eluser]xwero[/eluser]
Adding libraries doesn't make the framework bloated because they are only loaded when you load them yourself. The bloat comes from functions that are only useful in certain cases. For instance if there are US oriented rules added to the validation library.

[eluser]Derek Allard[/eluser]
Hey all.

Its not unreasonable that CI will continue to get updates as we work on EE. CI probably will get a release first. As for the (legitimate) bloat issue that Milos raises, that and a few other things are discussed in ExpressionEngine 2.0: fully CodeIgnited!, but I will say that more libraries does not, and cannot hurt performance, as they are loaded on demand by you. The only thing they do is take up more diskspace Wink

[quote author="Derek Allard" date="1213872725"]Hey all.

Its not unreasonable that CI will continue to get updates as we work on EE. CI probably will get a release first. As for the (legitimate) bloat issue that Milos raises, that and a few other things are discussed in ExpressionEngine 2.0: fully CodeIgnited!, but I will say that more libraries does not, and cannot hurt performance, as they are loaded on demand by you. The only thing they do is take up more diskspace Wink[/quote]

It would be nice to have the extra libraries, BUT (yes, there is always a but) if we could maybe have access to some kind of system where we can pick what we want in our setup? Too much to ask for?

[eluser]xwero[/eluser]
You can try the myCI script. It's a prototype and i haven't found the time to improve it yet but it's at your disposal Wink

[quote author="xwero" date="1213879795"]You can try the myCI script. It's a prototype and i haven't found the time to improve it yet but it's at your disposal Wink[/quote]

With a little work could be done Smile

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB