Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
User files and images location ... best practices.

[eluser]jonnyjon[/eluser]
Just wondering what the community feels is the best way to handle user files, like profile images ... should they:
a) be put in separate directories, ex: /user_files/userId/image.jpg
b) or, just all dumped into the same directory, ex: /user_files/md5_unique_filename.jpg

[eluser]Dagobert Renouf[/eluser]
I really don't see the point of the separate directories method.
I mean if it's just the user's avatar, it's unlikely he will need to have more than one, so the unique directory seems perfect to me.

[eluser]Sam Dark[/eluser]
You haven't worked with really huge systems then…

Best practice is not allowing too much files in one directory since *nix can't handle them well.

[eluser]Dagobert Renouf[/eluser]
So you say that if you want to handle 100.000 avatars, the best way to do it is to create 100.000 subfolders ?

In this case, wouldn't it be better to create subfolders that contains 1000 avatars each for example ?

[eluser]Sam Dark[/eluser]
It would be better to divide them. Personally I'm using yyyy/mm/dd folders to store them.

[eluser]elvix[/eluser]
for user icons, i'm using 3-digit folder names (ex: icons/123/) calculated off a user_id, which lets me not only group icons into 999 potential folders, but i can figure out what icon to show based on user_id only. (i also extended the Upload class so I could rename icon files using the user_id.)

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB