Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
To the devs

[eluser]Vang[/eluser]
When is CI planed to have proper URL support without the need for hacks.
For example http://domain.com/folder/controler/funct...ar2=value2
?

[eluser]xwero[/eluser]
enable query strings and set the uri protocol to PATH_INFO et voila no hacks query strings

[eluser]Michael Wales[/eluser]
Quote:proper URL support

Proper URL support? lol - I think you mean, your personal preference as to how URLs should be formed...

[eluser]Vang[/eluser]
[quote author="Michael Wales" date="1214747729"]
Quote:proper URL support

Proper URL support? lol - I think you mean, your personal preference as to how URLs should be formed...[/quote]

Allowing developers to use both methods out of the box is not my personal preference. It's self-explanatory and is a feature that lots of people loved in kohana. It's really the worse idea in CI to restrict url formatting by default. This and destroying the $_GET array makes me wonder "what were the devs thinking".

[eluser]Lone[/eluser]
Quote:makes me wonder “what were the devs thinking”

They were thinking this is a neater way of doing URLs but we still won't limit people from using the $_GET way and allow it to be switched back if need be.

I prefer this method and Im certain a majority of users would agree that the standard CI method is alot cleaner.. Like straight off the bat instead of:

Code:
www.domain.com/index.php?c=controller&m=method

You have

Code:
www.domain.com/controller/method/

ps. I really really really love the whole URI functionality of CI and will fight behind it no matter what Tongue

[eluser]Vang[/eluser]
[quote author="Lone" date="1214751085"]
Quote:makes me wonder “what were the devs thinking”

They were thinking this is a neater way of doing URLs but we still won't limit people from using the $_GET way and allow it to be switched back if need be.

I prefer this method and Im certain a majority of users would agree that the standard CI method is alot cleaner.. Like straight off the bat instead of:

ps. I really really really love the whole URI functionality of CI and will fight behind it no matter what Tongue[/quote]

Of course it's a lot cleaner (and better in any way). However sometimes you HAVE to change your coding style according to a problem you'll come across. At those times it's irritating to waste time to enable something that wouldn't hurt anyone if it was enabled along SEF urls.

In my case it was that i needed to transfer urls from a bookmarklet into a CI page.
The url was becominng http://mysite.com/folder/controler/funct...bar/hello/
In this case http://mysite.com/folder/controler/funct...bar/hello/ is a lifesaver

[eluser]xwero[/eluser]
Changing 2 settings isn't the biggest work i think but maybe it should more put in the picture in the user guide.

Most sites don't need query strings or they only need it for a particular functionality, your bookmarklet or a bookmarkable search url for example. Maybe instead of only general enabling the query strings it should be able to locally enable query strings.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB