Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
SQLServer?

[eluser]louis w[/eluser]
I am totally a LAMP guy, but I have a client that requires Windows + SQLServer. Can you tell if if there will be any problems setting up an application with CI in this environment. Is there anything I should be concerned about, especially with MySQL vs SQLServer? Will active record still work?
Thanks.

[eluser]Seppo[/eluser]
Active Record will work perfectly.
The problems I had with those enviroment was that I used MySQL function MD5 (not PHP, but MySQL) and SQL Server does not support it, so I had to encrypt it before (that's not much problem).
The usual problems running Windows is specificly running IIS and CI URLs... I had a lot of problems about that and I ended using index_page = 'index.php?' and it finally worked...

[eluser]louis w[/eluser]
Do you mean that you could not get arid of the index.php in the url?
Also, what kind of problems were you having with IIS?

I have never set up a php site under windows before.

[eluser]Seppo[/eluser]
Well, to get arid of the index.php you have to install a module on IIS - It does not work with .htaccess .
The problems with IIS are usually related to server administration... it's much uglier than apache, but if you have physical access to it, it's not a big deal...

If you can, use apache on windows, not IIS =)

[eluser]louis w[/eluser]
Oooh, interesting.
Thanks for the advice.

[eluser]Randy Casburn[/eluser]
Another snippet of advice. PHP prefers forward slashes. That is usually foreign to Windows users and makes folks a little nervous. You should default to using forward slashes with everything in PHP and allow PHP to deal with the nuances of the operating system. Use forward slashes throughout the config file and your code.
All of the file system functionality is built to deal with this situation. Consider this, would you rather write:

"c:\\program files\\my program\\program name\\config\\settings.ini"

or

"c:/program files/my program/program name/config/settings.ini"

When you think about porting this from one platform to another the headaches become fewer as well. IF, on the rare occasion, something doesn't work, use backslashes and document the code why it was necessary.

Hope this is helpful,

Randy

[eluser]edhrx[/eluser]
I never did get to the bottom of this
http://ellislab.com/forums/viewthread/83490/

And as I'm using tinymce to make potentially long field entries I am now having to consider how to incorporate a partially file based solution instead of mssql text fields.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB