Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
xss_clean adds semicolon to anything with an &

[eluser]dmorin[/eluser]
I've noticed that the xss_clean function seems to add a semi-colon to any string that contains an ampersand. For example, if someone writes "AT&T;Park" in a textarea and I run it through the xss_clean function, it will return "AT&T;Park".

Has anyone else seen this? Any recommendations? Thanks.

Edit: This is pretty funny.....they must use xss_clean for this forum, so both of the things above say AT&T;Park. What it should say is:

ATampersandT Park

[eluser]Pascal Kriete[/eluser]
Encode it as an entity: AT&T

[eluser]dmorin[/eluser]
Thanks, that has been my fix for now. It appears that the xss_clean provides additional security versus just html encoding the information though, so I have been running it through htmlspecialchars() first and then through xss_clean. Does anyone know if this is necessary?

It seems like it's an issue given that I couldn't post the correct information to this forum...

[eluser]reconstrukt[/eluser]
This is a problem.

The ampersand character is a commonly used (VERY commonly used) string delimiter. There are multiple scenarios where this "semicolon insertion" is unacceptable.

----
Scenario #1: $_GET data

Let's say, for example, you want to pass a return_url in your querystring (assuming you're running CI with uri_protocol set to PATH_INFO, and global_xss_filtering to TRUE).

Code:
http://mysite.com/user/login?s=1&return_url=some_encoded_url

Because its a good idea to cleanse GET data, let's run xss_clean() on $_SERVER['QUERY_STRING']. You'll get:

Code:
s=1&return;_url;=some_encoded_url

The "return_url" param becomes "return_url;".

----
Scenario #2. $_COOKIE data

Let's say you're reading a cookie with some delimited data (on a project I'm on now, we read top-level cookies [written by other apps] on subdomains). Again, assume you've got global_xss_filtering set to TRUE.

Let's say our cookie name is "sessdata" and the cookie data is:

Code:
u=reconstrukt&fn=Matt&uid=234&ts=20080716120000

Reading this through CI:

Code:
get_cookie('sessdata');

And you get back *altered key names*

Code:
u=reconstrukt&fn;=Matt&uid;=234&ts;=20080716120000

----
Scenario #3. $_POST data

Let's say you've got a form with a field called "homepage_url", allowing a user to post their website (or any external URL) on their personal profile page. So, the user copies and pastes their link:

Code:
http://www.myblog.com?page=something&sort=2&a=1

Reading this through CI:

Code:
$this->input->post('homepage_url')

You get back a malformed URL

Code:
http://www.myblog.com?page=something&sort;=2&a;=1

----

Now, I *love* CI. I've built a buncha sites with it (a few fairly high-profile). But this "add a semicolon so we can convert entities to ASCII later" is just plain wonky.

A recommendation? Don't make "global_xss_filtering" an all-or-nothing setting.

Instead, if we made this setting an enumerated list, you could leave filtering on for $_POST data, but leave it off for $_COOKIE data. From the config:

Code:
$config['global_xss_filtering'] = TRUE;

Becomes

Code:
$config['global_xss_filtering'] = array('POST', 'GET');

And a simple check in the Input class would leave some the $_COOKIE superglobal untouched.

(This doesn't necessarily solve scenario #3 above, but is certainly an improvement.)

Matt

reconstrukt, did you even try this?

The function protects GET variables (line 541 and 563):
Code:
$str = "http://mysite.com/user/login?s=1&return_url=some_encoded_url";
echo $this->input->xss_clean($str);

// Echos the url with no modifications

What version CI are you on? Not seeing that on my end.

Try the other scenarios, you'll see what I mean. Till this is fixed, I'm subclassing the Input lib and making the 'global_xss_filtering' config key an array

Cheers
M

I'm using CI 1.6.4

The regular expression it uses actually matches any &key=value&another=more pattern, so none of your examples should cause any problems at all.

EDIT: Note how the forum (which uses that same function) didn't change anything in my post, because it looks like a query string.

We're on 1.6.0

Was this fix recently added? I'm familiar with xss_clean(), but not seeing a regex that'd match qs strings.

M

It got a pretty major overhaul for 1.6.3 (1.6.4 was EE, I'm not magically ahead Smile ), if you have a test install of your current system, replace the input library with the newest version and see if you run into any problems. Should work without any major issues.

We haven't changed the core, subclassed libs if we needed to make mods. So I will give it a shot starting next week and post here (if anyone cares.)

cheers inparo.
M

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB