Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Examples of using the Model class?

[eluser]Colin Williams[/eluser]
You don't necessarily have to leave ECMAscript and persistent object storage to move into open-source, MVC. Check out http://axiomstack.com/

[eluser]Doug Lerner[/eluser]
[quote author="Colin Williams" date="1215675625"]You don't necessarily have to leave ECMAscript and persistent object storage to move into open-source, MVC. Check out http://axiomstack.com/[/quote]

Very interesting! Conceptually, it seems very similar to the other (but still proprietary) development system I've been using, including the built-in web server, built-in hierarchical database, etc. Very similar indeed!

I imagine it is hard to find hosting for something like axiomstack...

Interesting though!

I'm actually hoping I can convince the company that makes the system I've been using open source in the same way.

doug

[eluser]Randy Casburn[/eluser]
@doug -- there is also JavascriptMVC for the MVC part of the story. Combined with something like Jaxer on the server side to protect the business logic might help. No db abstraction though.

Randy

[eluser]sophistry[/eluser]
I've been testing a recent ORM contribution you might be interested in:

Forum thread on IgnitedRecord ORM implementation for CI.

cheers.

Thanks. I'll check it out.

It's my impression that ORM implementations (even in RoR) only work so far as scalar properties go. Is that correct? Or do they also try to map out entire objects, which may contain object which may contain arrays which may contains objects as elements, etc.?

Thanks,

doug

[quote author="sophistry" date="1215723306"]I've been testing a recent ORM contribution you might be interested in:

Forum thread on IgnitedRecord ORM implementation for CI.

cheers.[/quote]

Just to clarify one thing, that IgnitedRecord ORM assumes the tables exist and you still have to set them up prior to calls, right?

Are there any features that take an abstract representation of a schema and create/update the tables with the entries?

Thanks,

doug

[eluser]sophistry[/eluser]
yes, there is something like such a thing in native CI - it's a new feature called db forge. i haven't used it but it looks like a way to manage dbs and tables and fields. then you'd use active record (or IgnitedRecord style ORM) to insert. there is nothing that i am aware of in CI that will map something like an XML definition to db and table definitions with data inserts, but i'm sure it's possible to make it with any abstract representation you want (xml, arrays, yaml, bbcode, json, etc...).

but, why? sql *is* an abstract representation of a schema and has a well-known and pithy data insertion language.

cheers.

I just don't want to spend more time than I have to manually dealing with the databases. It is deathly boring. Plus if I have multiple installations there has to be some way of automating the database tables and fields setup, and catching up with updates to the schema.

I found the migration tool in the wiki though - it seems to work great! It is a huge timesaver!

http://codeigniter.com/wiki/Migrations/

doug

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB