Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
UML TOOL for Codeigniter Projects

[eluser]Randy Casburn[/eluser]
[quote author="mambe churchill nanje" date="1215702631"][snip]... I realised Enterprise Architect didnt support MVC. or maybe it does, can you please help on that.... [snip]
[/quote]

Hello Mambe,

If I may make an analogy, this is somewhat like saying neither PHP nor CodeIgniter support user authentication. It is true that PHP has no pre-built authentication system native to the language, and CI has no pre-built authentication system native to the framework. These are available because someone needed them and built them to meet their specific needs.

Now with EA it is true there is no pre-built MVC design pattern. But much like a scripting language, programming language, or MVC framework, the tool is designed for you to build whatever you need to meet your specific requirements.

As an example, I've included two models that I created in about 15 minutes with EA. They are not completely accurate, but they are close. You'll notice references to CI_this or that. That's because I've used EA to import the entire CI library. So I have the entire class structure for CI available to me inside EA. To refer to a CI class, it is simply a drag and drop operation.

The first model is a simple MVC Design Pattern in a model. It represents what you've indicated doesn't exist inside EA. It does, if you put it there.

The second model is a more complicated model. It represents MVC with the repeated questions within this forum of the type "how do I call a model from a model" or "how do I call a controller from a controller". Done properly, these answers require an interface class, written once to address a many2many situation. I'm not sure the model is quite right because I really have not taken the time to think it through. But you'll see EA will support whatever you desire.

[I'll send the second image in another post]

I hope this is helpful.

Randy

Second Image...

The quality is not so good on this one in order to fit the size (pixel/file) constraints of the forum.

[eluser]mambe churchill nanje[/eluser]
ooh my...
Randy thanks alot, I did the modeling using fireworks and I had to draw just like pen and paper, but the database and the usecase and all I used Enterprise Architect, now that you have shown me how to model CodeIgniter projects, I will do everything in Enterprise Architect. I have some learning to do. thanks alot

[eluser]mambe churchill nanje[/eluser]
hey Randy
the pictures too are very helpfull. I will study them and try to convert the architecture I have done to EA. But we have already started with the one i did in fireworks so I guess we will continue with it. but next time I will model in EA and I think if it can generate the codes it will be super wonderful.
Wink

Glad I could help. I am also writing custom transformations that are generating PHP code (CI models files) directly from these models using the code generation features within Enterprise Architect(EA). EA is a very powerful platform.

Best of luck to you.

Randy

[eluser]Seto El Kahfi[/eluser]
[quote author="Randy Casburn" date="1215715327"]Second Image...

The quality is not so good on this one in order to fit the size (pixel/file) constraints of the forum.[/quote]
Thank you for the answer Randy, but it weird, why I can't see the pics?? :roll:

Hi Seto, You asked: "why I can’t see the pics??"

I suppose it is because this post was from almost 5 years ago and Ellis lab has changed the forum and purged content they (rightly) believe was quite stale.

I'm not sure I even have these older models anymore.

Randy

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB