Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Will image resizing (image_lib) exhaust my server?

[eluser]KeyStroke[/eluser]
Hi,

I'm coding a site where users can upload images to their posts. I'm trying to make it so that, when someone submits a big image, it will automatically resize it to the maximum allowed size.

I tested it locally and I got the "Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 2319210 bytes)" error. And according to some threads here, I need to bump up my memory limit.

This seems a quite server intensive process. Does this mean that my server will be exhausted and slow down when say 1000 visitors try to upload an image at the same time for example?

Is the performance impact high though or something to be expected when processing images? If it is high, then what are the alternatives?

Yea that's what exactly what I mean, because I see sites like facebook for example that can upload and resize images on the fly. Do they have more server power or just better code or methods to do it?

[eluser]Bramme[/eluser]
I think we're all pretty much stuck with the same methods. So I think you can safely bet they've got far better server computing power.

[eluser]Lone[/eluser]
[quote author="KeyStroke" date="1215625514"]Yea that's what exactly what I mean, because I see sites like facebook for example that can upload and resize images on the fly. Do they have more server power or just better code or methods to do it?[/quote]

From memory they do it on the client side - they use a java applet that does this. Its a clever solution as the visitor doesn't have to upload the whole photo as such. Downside obviously is that client needs java running on their computer.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB