• 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Auth

(11-27-2014, 08:38 AM)Narf Wrote: Unlikely? Here's a promise: I am abandoning CodeIgniter if it gets a built-in "Auth tool". For the last time: not a f*****g chance this is happening while I'm around.

Create and use packages, stop asking for everything to be built-in. It's not possible.

I totally agree with you, if you will build an auth library, then they will ask for other packages to be build in.
I choose CodeIgniter because is small.
I really don't understand why the people asking for this. They should build it, and use that every time. If they don't know how, they should learn or they should use an existing one.

(11-27-2014, 10:11 PM)bclinton Wrote:
(11-27-2014, 06:36 PM)alroker Wrote: Does the shopping cart library built into CI come with models, views and controllers baked in? Does it come with any kind of database structure ready to inject into your DB? Does it dictate how you must use it? No! So what is it's point?

I don't want to go too off-topic, but since you brought it up the shopping cart library is pretty stupid and should be removed lest some inexperienced user actually make the mistake of trying to use it in the production of an e-commerce site.

The community should focus on what should be deleted, not added.

This thread is going in ridiculous direction ..

Lets take PHP.net experience and make 2 level of discussions and voting.

All the community should vote if we need it and want it or no..
If those who needs it are more then others, staff's should make closed discussion about what can be done in this direction and what not.

This way we can be a REAL COMMUNITY..
Best VPS Hosting : Digital Ocean

People have a hard time accepting NO as an answer! I don't think it is something that should be decided by the number of votes. The people responsible for the framework are the ones who should decide. They can ask for our opinion but in the end it is for them to decide what should be added in the framework or not. We must be very careful with that kind of stuff if we don't want a bloated and sluggish framework in the future!

(11-28-2014, 07:30 AM)includebeer Wrote: People have a hard time accepting NO as an answer! I don't think it is something that should be decided by the number of votes. The people responsible for the framework are the ones who should decide. They can ask for our opinion but in the end it is for them to decide what should be added in the framework or not. We must be very careful with that kind of stuff if we don't want a bloated and sluggish framework in the future!

"CodeIgniter is a community-developed open source project"
This means that "people responsible for the framework" should hear what community wants.. Smile

CI is already off date because of the long searching of new owner and etc...
Most of the PHP project's today are focusing of usage of Namespaces of composer and etc.. 
We have to thing what will be the NEXT CI, not just to keep our good CI as it is.. 
This means that it should be using all modern elements of PHP and at the same time to provide all basic features which can be required for app development.
Auth system or at least basic user handling is Important things which at the moment is the biggest minus of CI at all..

@sv3tli0

There is a thing called "design by a committee" anti-pattern. In my opinion a very limited number of people should take the decisions to be implemented. Even, in my work I am more radical - there must be only one. :-)

Yes, we can help in different ways, but leadership belongs to the owner, it is not our job.

So, I expect to see in the next year a published vision (or dream map, or roadmap) about where CodeIgniter Next will go.

(11-28-2014, 08:02 AM)sv3tli0 Wrote: "CodeIgniter is a community-developed open source project"
This means that "people responsible for the framework" should hear what community wants.. Smile

No, I don't think that's what that means.

Voting on it isn't a horrible idea though...  How about one vote for every commit?   https://github.com/bcit-ci/CodeIgniter/g...ntributors

Unfortunately, that does leave me with zero votes.  How many votes do you get sv3tli0?

(11-28-2014, 08:57 AM)bclinton Wrote:
(11-28-2014, 08:02 AM)sv3tli0 Wrote: "CodeIgniter is a community-developed open source project"

No, I don't think that's what that means.

Voting on it isn't a horrible idea though...  How about one vote for every commit?   https://github.com/bcit-ci/CodeIgniter/g...ntributors

Unfortunately, that does leave me with zero votes.  How many votes do you get sv3tli0?

Xa xa .. nice one Smile

Like I said Community should make Requests, and CI Team should discuss it and after that Accept or Reject it..

There is CI owner who has to determine how the framework will be developed. 
Your way is EllisLab way where they just give us what they made for them self .. nothing More Wink

I find this thread kinda funny.

It's pointless requesting features and asking for this or that.

In "drop support for old php versions thread":

(11-20-2014, 05:56 AM)Narf Wrote: Blah blah blah ...

So far, you guys are wasting your time.

In this thread:

(11-27-2014, 08:38 AM)Narf Wrote: Unlikely? Here's a promise: I am abandoning CodeIgniter if it gets a built-in "Auth tool". For the last time: not a f*****g chance this is happening while I'm around.

It's very clear (at least to me) who is calling the shots for codeigniter development.  

There will be no votes, requests will go unheard.  You want a package you better do it yourself.  You (the community) have zero say.  

Enjoy  Big Grin

CI is already off date because of the long searching of new owner and etc...
Most of the PHP project's today are focusing of usage of Namespaces of composer and etc.. 
We have to thing what will be the NEXT CI, not just to keep our good CI as it is.. 
This means that it should be using all modern elements of PHP and at the same time to provide all basic features which can be required for app development.
Auth system or at least basic user handling is Important things which at the moment is the biggest minus of CI at all..

"Community-developed" means anybody can contribute. On the other side, the maintainers can accept or reject your contribution. In any project, open source or not, it needs a leader, or else it's just chaos and spaghetti code.

Also, I never said I was against new features or progress in general (namespace etc). Let's not mix everything up. We are talking about an authentication library.

Anyway, like other have said, this conversations is not going anywhere. Until CI3 is officially released, there won't be any new features.

An authentication library would be better for CI developers though for those who require more on the system to be able to extend extend the library to enhance more security.

Digg   Delicious   Reddit   Facebook   Twitter   StumbleUpon