• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your impression of CI3 over others?

I totally disagree that CI is for small web sites.  I really don't understand why you would say that.  What part of CI limits it to small sites.

I have worked on several large sites and it works great.

(03-29-2015, 01:13 AM)BrianPX Wrote: I am using CodeIgniter for simple projects and Laravel for complex projects.

What is a complex project?  

I'm using CI 2.2.1 for an enterprise grade application.  It consists of several composer libraries, nodejs, zeromq, jquery and python.  Some tables have well over 250m+ rows and some queries generate 1 billion+ rows. It also has own bespoke cron application for backend tasks at scheduled times.

I've not seen a need to port that application to Laravel as it works just fine.  There isn't anything that a competent developer can't extend Codeigniter to do that Laravel does.  

So in short.  Codeigniter can be used for both simple projects AND enterprise projects.

(03-29-2015, 04:22 PM)no1youknowz Wrote:
(03-29-2015, 01:13 AM)BrianPX Wrote: I am using CodeIgniter for simple projects and Laravel for complex projects.

What is a complex project?  

I'm using CI 2.2.1 for an enterprise grade application.  It consists of several composer libraries, nodejs, zeromq, jquery and python.  Some tables have well over 250m+ rows and some queries generate 1 billion+ rows. It also has own bespoke cron application for backend tasks at scheduled times.

I've not seen a need to port that application to Laravel as it works just fine.  There isn't anything that a competent developer can't extend Codeigniter to do that Laravel does.  

So in short.  Codeigniter can be used for both simple projects AND enterprise projects.

I agree with no1youknowz.  If you know how it should be done you can get it done.  And if you have been doing this long enough you realize that no framework has it all and you will need to create some things from scratch.  

I am always sticking with Codeigniter it easy to use. I tried Laravel did not like it one bit. To me codeigiter has best routing system I think.

The only think I think it should have a built in HMVC frame work rather than adding third party.
There's only one rule - please don't tell anyone to go and read the manual.  Sometimes the manual just SUCKS!

>>The only think I think it should have a built in HMVC frame work rather than adding third party<<

+1

"The only think I think it should have a built in HMVC frame work rather than adding third party."

+1

(03-30-2015, 09:32 AM)riwakawd Wrote: The only think I think it should have a built in HMVC frame work rather than adding third party.

+1

(03-30-2015, 09:32 AM)riwakawd Wrote: I am always sticking with Codeigniter it easy to use. I tried Laravel did not like it one bit. To me codeigiter has best routing system I think.

The only think I think it should have a built in HMVC frame work rather than adding third party.

i totally agree - an integrated module based system would be a huge benefit 

+1

I've only looked at CI and CakePHP (as I work on a non-framework proprietary system full time) and I've found the learning curve and general ease of use on CI to be much better than CakePHP.

I have quite a large project I want to do in my spare time, but which one that is going to be built in will depend on which one I need to know more of when I change jobs soon. I'm hoping they use CI, but whatever they use will be whatever my new project is built in, so I can learn in my spare time.

Regardless of outcome, I'll still be using CI for my personal website, which I am working on now.
Developing mostly on Ubuntu 14.04 in a VM. Probably insane, but it works.

I like CI simply because it is easy and has the "least learning curve" for me.
There are many abundance of free and easy-to-understand CI tutorial in the net. Even though it is for CI2, it still work for CI3 with little tweak.
Compared to Laravel, there are too few tutorials in internet and mostly you must paid to access that.

Digg   Delicious   Reddit   Facebook   Twitter   StumbleUpon