Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Need CI Community Advice

[eluser]matt6805[/eluser]
I'm building a site that allows registered users to rate night clubs. My first thought was to use Drupal, but after playing around with CI for a day, I think it will not only be a better choice, but more fun for sure Smile
That being said, I need some advise on how to start? All the front end markup is done. I was thinking an easy way to start would be to:

1) Put dummy data into a database
2) Build the MVC structure for displaying that dummy data on the site pages.

--Or--

Do I focus on building the MVC for the user side of this first? Meaning, build the MVC structure that allows users to register, add their night clubs, and review other users night clubs? Then, once users can do all that, I can build the public facing part of the site based on the data they've input?

I hope I've made myself clear enough. Any advice would be highly appreciated!

Regards,
Matt

[eluser]pickupman[/eluser]
I would think about each part/function of the site. I use Modular Separation (folders of controllers/models/views for each section), and write modules for each section on the frontend. Then I create a admin module for that section.
Example:
User module will handle login/logout/register/profile etc.
User admin module to handle add/delete/ban etc.

Nightclub module will handle c.r.u.d. / vote actions
Nightclub admin module to manage clubs

I generally will start off with the parts I know are required first. Then move onto the biggest/easiest section. Work on the small areas. Then create a admin dashboard that ties all the admin modules together. I will then create a admin settings module for all of the configs that could be changed without breaking something, and add them to a table. Then, end users can change these values as necessary.

Very cool, thank you. I'll try to do it in small pieces as you suggest. Perhaps the first thing I'll do is put together the user management functions. I was looking at things like EzAuth. That might be a good place to start.

Regards,
Matt

[eluser]pickupman[/eluser]
Oh, by the way, welcome to CI and the boards. I really like [url="http://github.com/benedmunds/CodeIgniter-Ion-Auth"]Ion Auth[/url]. It's still actively developed and runs on both 1.7 & 2.0dev of CI. One the best features on than docs, is that all calls are made to the library. Using PHP5 goodness, calls not found in library are automatically sent to model. So everything is:
Code:
$this->ion_auth->logged_in();
$this->ion_auth->is_admin();
$this->ion_auth->profile();
$this->ion_auth->get_user($id);
$this->ion_auth->get_group($group_id);

No need to remember whether method was in a library or model. And very lightweight. You've got a config file, library, model, demo controller/views, language files for whatever language you need. I've got 5 files total.

[eluser]Buso[/eluser]
MS + ion_auth looks like a total win for a newcomer (though I never used ion_auth in particular)
So my only advice would be that you automate your dummy data insertion, so you never have to do it again. Put it in a model called 'install' or something. I do that for each module and saves me a lot of time.

Buso,
I just did a quick Google search and found this:
http://www.generatedata.com/#generator

Seems like a very easy way to create dummy data, and I don't need to use CI to do it. Just passing it along as a resource.

Regards,
Matt

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB