Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
CodeIgniter 2.0 or CodeIgniter Community Branch

[eluser]Derek Jones[/eluser]
While SVN "does the trick", DVCS is vastly superior, and to that end, either Git or Mercurial are great choices. There were numerous reasons that we chose Hg over Git, but just to share with respect to GitHub and BitBucket, GitHub's Issue system was not able to be indexed by search engines at the time we moved away from SVN (did they ever get that fixed?), and while that was not the determining factor, that definitely impacted our decision. As did their speed and quality of response to our sales and technical questions, which granted, individual users will not often encounter, but businesses like ours certainly do.

[eluser]Ollie Rattue[/eluser]
[quote author="Derek Jones" date="1290297902"]As did their speed and quality of response to our sales and technical questions, which granted, individual users will not often encounter, but businesses like ours certainly do.[/quote]

Perhaps this is an example of the different set of criteria that the Community branch will use.

Has a name been given to the 'core' i.e. the existing/current codebase? We need a word to refer to it...

[eluser]SneakyDave[/eluser]
With all the NDA talk, and needing to explain what the NDA is for, this looks like to me that CI 2.0 will eventually have the "do whatever you want" license removed from it, in my opinion.

What happened to the original CI ideals and fundamentals? We waited for almost a year for these PR gaffe announcements to start showing up.

SneakyDave, if you have questions regarding the NDA that are not answered in Friday's news posting, I'd be more than happy to answer them.

Quote:What happened to the original CI ideals and fundamentals? We waited for almost a year for these PR gaffe announcements to start showing up.

The long answers:
http://ellislab.com/blog/entry/acknowled...ify_react/
http://ellislab.com/blog/entry/i_hear_you/

The short answer:
We did not learn quickly enough how to scale our company with our community.

Yeah, I saw all those responses, that's why I posted the quesiton.

Ok, my fault then, I'm not sure I understand what your question is?

It was a generic wonderment question, and I fail to accept the "answers" I guess.

Perhaps I answered the wrong part of the question, then. We are quite happy with how unrestrictive the CI license is, especially compared to GPL, and we have no plans to change. The ideals and fundamental characteristics in that respect have not changed. What's changed is how we are working internally, and how we are scaling to and communicating with our communities.

[eluser]Yettie[/eluser]
I use 2.0 for my new project since 3 weeks and it's ok for me. When will 2.0 be released for production ? I am new to CodeIgniter.

=:}

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB