Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Installing an old application to a new server

[eluser]TWP Marketing[/eluser]
I can't see the server name being referenced, since it IS executing your index.php and looking for a file in application/core, which means your config settings are being read. That means your paths are ok, not referenced to the original server.

The system file in system/core/Codeigniter.php is where CI loads your extended controller and it needs the app path (APPPATH) set in your index.php file. All of which works, but the actual file is not found, even though you can see it there.

It keeps coming back to either the incorrect spelling of filenames, wrong permissions or invalid user.

If the class declaration is misspelled or the filename itself is wrong, I can see the error in the apache error log. I can duplicate it by renaming my own base controller or setting the permissions to disallow reading. You are using root as the user, which should have all priviledges.

I know, it is frustrating me too...

[eluser]Rurik[/eluser]
Well permissions are set to 755 with root owner as always, and so even if i wasnt root, its apache serving it, and apache is covered with those privleges... This is just very very frustrating. And it definately isnt the ubuntu and php im using, because the default CI files worked....

I am used to weird errors but this is just plain annoying...

I'm stuck too.

You could try putting a dummy file in for MY_Controller.php. Rename the current file and leave it there

MY_Controller.php
Code:
class My_Controller extends CI_Controller{

}

CI should choke on this, but only if it can see the actual file itself. Under linux, filenames are case sensitive, but...

I'm offline 'til tomorrow, let me know if you find a solution or we keep working, I'm game if you are.

[eluser]Rurik[/eluser]
Hehe always good to find someone who enjoys working on a tough problem.

Did as you suggested, it now just prints out the class, as:

class My_Controller extends CI_Controller{ }

So if thats any help to you...

If i put in php tags, which i should have in the first place, i get 500, which i guess is expected.

Actually, that is good, it means it can read the file.
If it chokes on the php tag, then the question is, why can it read index.php, the config files, and system/core/Codeigniter.php which are also php files.

You're using CI 2.0.2 right? The problem might be there, but as I said, I don't know all of the affects of the changes done to fix problems with that version.

It's more work, but you might try an installation, just the basic welcome test, not your full code, of the latest version (2.1.2) to see if it works on the server. If it works, you can install a dummy MY_Controller and read the error log.

[eluser]Rurik[/eluser]
So just a plain installation of 2.1.2 without any changes to it? I hope the error log is turned on be default, i forget where that option is...

Yes, You will need to edit application/config/config.php to set the base_url to point at the server
Code:
$config['base_url'] = 'http://eagle.restofname:8022/webFiles/';

If you don't want to move your current CI installation, just rename the webFiles directory "webFilesold" for instance. Then create an new "webFiles" directory to hold ver 2.1.2

You already set php.ini for error reporting
From the User Guide:
Quote:Note: By default, CodeIgniter displays all PHP errors. You might wish to change this behavior once your development is complete. You'll find the error_reporting() function located at the top of your main index.php file. Disabling error reporting will NOT prevent log files from being written if there are errors.

[eluser]Rurik[/eluser]
already got those folders set up Smile Did exactly this to test the 2.0.2 installation. Will do it now, update this post

Okay, welcome page works, now setting up dummy controller

I've created the dummy controller as before and set this: class Welcome extends MY_Controller {

but it still works?

[eluser]Rurik[/eluser]
I'm so sorry to be such a pain here... but I cant remember where I set the file where you set where the error log is. I found all the other stuff related to error logs for php, just not which file to save them to.

However, the error log I do know of hasnt had any php errors since the 10th

In app/config/config.php
look for:
$config['log_threshold'] = 0; // set this above 0 to log errors, 4 is maximum and will be verbose

/*
|--------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Error Logging Directory Path
|--------------------------------------------------------------------------
|
| Leave this BLANK unless you would like to set something other than the default
| application/logs/ folder. Use a full server path with trailing slash.
|
*/
$config['log_path'] = ''; // Your log directory, needs to be have permissions for writable

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB