Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Strange problem with IE7

[eluser]Tomas Sundvall[/eluser]
Hello!

I'm developing a project in Codeigniter, but a very strange problem in IE7 has occurred. All browsers works fine, but when I test the site in IE7 it seems like there is some problem loading the css file, or parts of it.

when I first visit the page it works fine, but as soon as I click in a link, the background colour disappears and the css rules I have applied to my text, like font-family also won't work any more.

I have developed web pages for many years and never seen this problem before, that's why I wonder if it might have something with codeigniter to do? Maybe there is a problem reading the css file or something?

The address to the page is http://www.säkertnät.se

If someone has a clue to what the problem might be, I'm extremely thankful!

/Tomas

[eluser]LuckyFella73[/eluser]
When looking at the sourcecode I see 2 "strange" characters before your doctype tag.
(the first chars at the page at all)
After reloading the page everything looks fine but should look fine without reload Wink
Maybe removing this chars fix the problem in IE.

Edit: looks like you copied text from a utf-8 file to a ascii or something like that ->
sometimes the spaces look like your chars at the beginning of the file.

Hello and thanks for your reply!

I think you might be right! What I've done is to create all my new files in utf-8, even thou the CI files are coded in ANSI. I didn't think this would cause any problems, but when I think of it, the problem never occurred before I started doing so.

How did you find the two "strange" characters? I've been looking in header.php file in notepad++ but I can't find it. I've also looked at the html output but haven't found it there ether. So, how did you find it? Wink

Thanks a lot for the reply, and I'm sorry my answer was so late.

/Tomas

Hej Tomas,

when I view the sourcecode (by rightclicking in the browser) the
first 3 chars are "squares". Maybe you have some spaces in your
header.php?

Edit:
In IE I see sqaures, in Opera sourcecode dots, in Firefox there is
nothing to see ...

Hello!

I understand, but it's very strange because I can't find it. I have been looking for the squared, dots and spaces in the source code from both IE, FF and Opera now but I can't find anything. Nether in the header.php file can I find any spaces or something like that.

Maybe I'll just have to but back the site in ANSI, but it should be possible to code the site in utf-8. Do you know if there is any other way to search for the strange characters?

/Tomas

[eluser]nstokes[/eluser]
Tomas -

Try turning on a feature in your editor that shows Invisible Characters. BBEdit and TextMate have this on a Mac, I can't speak for Windows software, but I'm sure any decent editor has it. You should see those characters once you turn that feature on.

Hello!

I use notepad++, and I have tried to turn on the function "view all characters", but there is still nothing in front of my doctype.

I think this is very weird that it seems impossible for me to find those characters. Do you both use mac? I use windows so maybe that could be the problem?

/Tomas

Hi Tomas,

I use Windows as well. Maybe you want to send the header.php and I
check if I can find something.
Did you have a look at your other files too? If you have a header.php
file than you must have some kind of frame where the header.php is loaded into.
Maybe the chars are anywhere before the line including the header.php?
Hard to say without seeing the whole code.

Hello!

Sorry for a late answer, I haven't been home the past week. I managed to solve the problem by stop coding all my filed in utf-8, and stuck to the original ANSI instead. I had a look at all the standard codeigniter files, and since they where coded in ANSI, it didn't feel like a good idea to code my files in utf-8 then.

But I still can't understand why the standard config in codeigniter is utf-8 while all the files are coded in ANSI, do you know why?

Thanks again for all the help!

/Tomas

Quote:But I still can’t understand why the standard config in codeigniter is utf-8 while all the files are coded in ANSI, do you know why?

I'm not sure about that but maybe it's only important that the view-files
are saved utf-8 encoded? Can't imagine that we have to save all codeigniter
files utf-8 encoded first before starting an utf-8 project ..

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB