Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
PyroCMS v0.9.7.4 - an open-source modular general purpose CMS

[eluser]TimothyWtf[/eluser]
Hi,

First off: I'm new to this CMS and I just did a fresh install of the v0.9.7.4 version. So, this might not be the correct thread to post my question in, but since haven't been able to find a dedicated thread for my PyroCMS version I'm posting it in here. I just hope someone still reads this thread, if not I'll post it in the v0.9.8-beta thread.

I've been playing around with the admin panel to see if this CMS fits my needs regarding user- and role management. At first glance PyroCMS seemed perfectly suited for my needs. I've stumbled upon what seems to be a bug. It probably isn't, though.

When creating a new user in the admin panel I can't assign a pre-defined role to the user. The dropdown-box only offers the standard roles (User, Staff and Admin). I did the following before arriving at this problem.
- Basic installation by following the installation wizard.
- Made some pages
- Created a user, and assigned the staffmember role to it.
- Created a custom role and assigned some rules to it.
- Tried to create a user with this newly created role assigned to it.

I obviously want to create users with custom roles.

I'm on SnowLeopard / MAMP / PHP 5.2.0

Tips or help of any kind is greatly appreciated.

[eluser]Phil Sturgeon[/eluser]
User specific permissions has been on the to-do list since before this CMS went open-source. I may get around to it at some point, but it's not really a priority for me.

I really would recommend using v0.9.8 as it is considerably better than v0.9.7.x in every way.

[eluser]TimothyWtf[/eluser]
[quote author="Phil Sturgeon" date="1266188108"]User specific permissions has been on the to-do list since before this CMS went open-source. I may get around to it at some point, but it's not really a priority for me.

I really would recommend using v0.9.8 as it is considerably better than v0.9.7.x in every way.[/quote]

That's too bad, though I might be able to make it work with the staff-role and some custom rules.
Is 0.9.8 also more stable and bug-free than 0.9.7.4 ? I value a stable release more than one with more features. If this is the case, I'll gladly use the beta-release.

To be honest I haven't worked with v0.9.7.4 in over a month so I can't really remember. All my sites are running v0.9.8-beta2 and I just launched a client site on what is now tagged as v0.9.8-beta3 so you should be ok. :-)

[eluser]hugle[/eluser]
I would also recommend you the -beta version.
the last I was using live was -beta1, and it was running perfect. really

It's already bug free (at least we don't see bugs) and it is just getting cleaned.
also new features arrive Smile

Good luck with Pyro!

v0.9.8-beta3 has been released which is the last BETA before the final version which will be out soon. Everybody using v0.9.7.4, please upgrade. Anybody starting fresh, please use this BETA.

We might as well consider this topic closed, as v0.9.7.x wont be actively supported.

[eluser]pieter dekker[/eluser]
Hi,

PyroCMS supports different kind of users. But how do you implement this, do you create a controller for each type of user? With possible duplication of code. Or do you create one controller and differentiate within the function for each type of user?

Kind regards,
Pieter

Well that entirely depends on what you are trying to acheive. How would you do it in your own CI app?

[eluser]pieter dekker[/eluser]
I have made an application in which a created a controller for each type of user (I had 4), but with that solution you always have duplicated code. But I cannot see a good alternative, that's why I asked the question. I'm curious in how other people deal with this. I saw that pyrocms had an option to have multiple types of users. That's why I asked it here.

Kind regards,
Pieter

I generally stick to frintend and backend controllers. If i need a specific extra layer (multiple site admins for example) I'll make a sub folder with a new controller type and when minor variations occur I'll use the same controllers with if(group(premium user)) or permission checks.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB