Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
I really think it's time for me to learn a framework... but I've got a few questions

[eluser]ghebert[/eluser]
Wow I didn't think my thread was still alive!

[quote author="kucerar" date="1187052098"][quote author="ghebert" date="1186738459"]I'm working on a few big projects, one in particular that has well over 100 tables, most of them with 10,000's of rows and a few with millions of rows. They're not really high-traffic sites (they're mostly intranets), luckily.
...Life would be so much easier if we would have a framework!!!![/quote]

Sounds like you're doing some Business Intelligence/Data warehousing type stuff. Doing the same type of thing with CI, including optimizations and denormalizations here and there. CI has turned out to be ideal.[/quote]

Sounds like it. I'm a bit intimidated by what the Model should look like. It is my understanding that (more or less) a Model represents a table (and its associations?) Or maybe I read too much on CakePHP which tries to make the Model have the same "structure" as the DB... at least I think so.

Of the 100+ tables of the application, of course a few of them are really important and linked from everywhere. For example, the Users table is linked from many other tables: Orders, Deal Sales, Question Forms, Price Survey, Todos, Territories, and on and on and on... obviously the User Model cannot load data from 25+ each single time. And all those tables also have a link to the Retailer table...

I'm kind of running out of words for this... I don't know enough to come up with specific questions. Where could I familiarize myself with this? Most of the tutorials that I found out there are for blogs and other extremely simple applications.

Messages In This Thread
I really think it's time for me to learn a framework... but I've got a few questions - by El Forum - 10-23-2007, 09:22 PM

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB