Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Looking for little bit of advice on someting

A bit off topic, apologies in advance.

(03-20-2016, 09:56 AM)albertleao Wrote: ... this is a very good article to read about side-effect: http://blog.jenkster.com/2015/12/what-is...mming.html

Ooh, very interesting article. Sadly, I definitely write impure functions, and it has caused issues in the past.

However, not any more :-)

As an even further off topic aside, I spent ages (and got very frustrated at times) with a strictly DRY approach and a logic layer before the database layer. However, since then, and rewriting bits of code or adding some functionality, it is been a pleasure updating my own code, almost for the first time ever. So fast compared to previous sites I have written. Pure functions, I am sure, will help that a lot too.

Thanks for sharing,

Paul.

PS As I feel guilty about being off topic, on the topic of auth libraries, I rolled my own using as much best practice as I could, and although it works great, and I have used in on many sites, in hindsight, I should have used an auth library. Especially one that is mature, well developed, survived criticism, hacking, abuse and even life in the wild. Whatever you produce on your own will not (unless you are of course an exceptional programmer already working in the security environment) come close to being as secure or robust as some of the great existing libraries, nor offer the complex features available in some of these libraries. The learning curve to use someone elses package is well worth the investment in time. However exciting and 'do-able' it seems, security for authorisation is simply a vast and complex subject all on it's own. Why re-invent the wheel? I did, and although I got something wheel shaped, I regret doing it and although I learned a lot in the process, I will not be doing it again.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Looking for little bit of advice on someting - by PaulD - 03-20-2016, 11:29 AM

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB