Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Have you ever wanted to contribute to CodeIgniter? And related questions...

(This post was last modified: 04-01-2022, 05:33 AM by captain-sensible.)

Only my objective opinion but if i was thinking how to get more people involved i would analyse Wordpress what makes it tick , what contributes to the user base etc - i'm not joking .if you think about it and the word "involved" is focused on then that would run into a 6 figure number, and the bigger the "user" base the higher the percentage of developers. i.e they have got something seriously right. I did delve into Wordpress some time ago looking at how it works, i still even have a very simple official plugin for Wordpress at wordpress.org . The code quite frankly is an abomination , its not based on php OOP as far as i can see.

But you can't laugh at it, taking into account that probably there are probably more wordpress sites on the web than any other, including https://learncodeigniter.net/ which by the way as a Linux user i think i could get the admin user name in about 3 seconds flat .The fact that wordpress was chosen over CI for that site, exemplifies some of the problems of CI ; imagine i'm Tony Robbins now and i say to you , why should anybody be interested or have any faith in CI , when obviously the person who chose Wordpress over CI for the web site didn't?
when you can get people to choose CI over wordpress for blogging sites in large numbers would be a turning point.

Now when you say contribute, thats quite broad; can that be equated with helping rather than just pure coding ? Because I think CodeIgniter needs not just coders but a vision, direction and marketing . A philosophical consideration to get more involved with codeigniter would be to embrace those with limited coding as much as possible. I've heard you mentioned fire starter but not followed up on finding out what is. I have a working CI4 website thats a CMS ; it works as a CMS ,nobody has hacked it ; the code is on a version control website but my guess is that probably it will get sneers from those that look at the code. Well its better than Wordpress and a lot of people are using that. So i would say in terms of Codeigniter take a step back consider:

vision where is it going ?
who are you going to embrace or alienate in terms of where its going
what can be learned from WordPress ?
Simplify codeigniter not give multiple options just focus on one or two
How many versions are there of Wordpress : 1
How many versions are there of current Windows :1
who is the biggest user base in the world in terms of code ability ? those that can't code or those that can barely code
so are you going to pander to an elite or a larger base
In terms of coding i use PHPMailer not your email system -why is that ? have you heard that the success of communication depends on the quality of what your are communicating . Documentation could be more elaborate - the biggest mistake of those that write about code is that they have forgotten what it was like when you also struggled to understand something. have a look at the link under my name "cms in action" its a CMS on top of Codeigniter4 , very bare bones though
CMS CI4     I use Arch Linux by the way 

Messages In This Thread
RE: Have you ever wanted to contribute to CodeIgniter? And related questions... - by captain-sensible - 04-01-2022, 03:08 AM

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB