Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
How to use Amazon PHP SDK to upload photos to S3 with Codeigniter 4

I have spent ages trying to figure out how to integrate Amazon Web Services (AWS) PHP SDK with CodeIgniter 4 but after a lot of trial and error, I think I've stumbled across some information that I hope might help others with the same problem. I use Amazon S3 as a storage mechanism for lots of images and in my last web service using Codeigniter 3, everything was working fine because I used a third party interface to AWS. This time, I've attempted to integrate the AWS PHP SDK and I managed to get it working OK until I used the S3 putObject function. I got all sorts of memory issues and I just couldn't understand why until I stumbled across this page:-

https://docs.aws.amazon.com/sdk-for-php/...apper.html

It appears that using putObject creates all sorts of memory buffering and flushing issues which can be overcome by using the stream wrapper instead.

I've included a simple example below on how to upload a file to an AWS S3 bucket easily through Codeigniter 4.

Firstly, install the AWS PHP SDK so that the 'aws' root folder is nested in the httpdocs (or equivalent) folder:-

[app]
[aws] <----
[public]
[system]
[writeable]

Then, make sure you've set your credentials. Because I'm using a localhost and XAMPP with Windows, mine are set through the .aws credentials file as per the AWS documentation.

To connect to S3, make sure you add the line

PHP Code:
use Aws\S3\S3Client

to the top of the controller, then you can set the S3 client when you need it and are ready to put a file into your bucket. For example:-

PHP Code:
public function upload_file() {

$this
->S3 = new S3Client([
            'profile' => 'default',
            'region' => 'us-east-1'
        ]);

//Register the stream wrapper from an S3Client object
        $this->S3->registerStreamWrapper();

$bucketfile 's3://your-bucket/key_filename.jpeg';
        $localfile file_get_contents('filesomewhere.jpeg');
        file_put_contents($bucketfile$localfile);

This seems to work well and I hope it might help those that, like me, have been struggling to sift through all the AWS documentation.

Messages In This Thread
How to use Amazon PHP SDK to upload photos to S3 with Codeigniter 4 - by asimeou - 05-14-2024, 10:53 AM

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB