Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Disallowed characters in URI

I am working on a search bar. There is a form, on submit the text from the input gets encoded with the JavaScript encodeURIComponent function and redirected with

Code:
window.location.href = /search/yourtexthere

This is routed to a controller with

Code:
$routes->get('search/(:segment)', 'Search::word/$1');

If I search for special characters, for example: []{}, I get the "The URI you submitted has disallowed characters" error message.
If I copy the url from the address bar, the characters are properly encoded to %5B%5D%7B%7D. All of these characters match the default regular expression in the App.php at $permittedURIChars.
When I copy just the []{} characters from the browser address bar, they stay as is, not encoded.

I tested 

Code:
preg_match('/\A[a-z 0-9~%.:_\-]+\z/iu', '%5B%5D%7B%7D');
preg_match('/\A[a-z 0-9~%.:_\-]+\z/iu', '[]{}'); 
They return 1 and 0, as expected.

I tried type in the the full url with the encoded string, same result.
I made a link on a test page where the []{} was encoded with PHP's urlencode, rawurlencode and http_build_query, with the same result.
If I set $permittedURIChars = ''; it works but it is not recommended. With this setting, if I dd(site_url(uri_string())); the url, it is properly encoded.

I use 
CodeIgnire 4.5.1
MacOS 14.5
It was tested on Firefox 126, Firefox Developer Edition 127, Safari 17.5, Safari Technology Preview 17.4 with the same result.

I assumed, maybe it is an OS/browser thing, because when I copied only the []{} characters from the url, they stayed not encoded.
But when I used dd to print out the url, I saw that the characters are encoded as they should be.

My question is, am I doing something wrong or is this a bug in CodeIgniter? Big Grin

Messages In This Thread
Disallowed characters in URI - by loxia - 05-20-2024, 02:04 PM
RE: Disallowed characters in URI - by loxia - 05-29-2024, 04:38 PM
RE: Disallowed characters in URI - by kenjis - 05-29-2024, 06:18 PM
RE: Disallowed characters in URI - by loxia - 05-29-2024, 07:59 PM
RE: Disallowed characters in URI - by kenjis - 05-29-2024, 09:09 PM
RE: Disallowed characters in URI - by kenjis - 05-29-2024, 09:15 PM
RE: Disallowed characters in URI - by kenjis - 05-29-2024, 08:51 PM
RE: Disallowed characters in URI - by kenjis - 05-29-2024, 09:18 PM
RE: Disallowed characters in URI - by loxia - 05-30-2024, 04:42 AM

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB