Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Converting an app to CI (conceptualizing the breakdown)

[eluser]CheekyGeek[/eluser]
I'm a newbie to CI, but pretty excited by what I see in the screencast demos and working my way through the User Guide and Upton book.

A couple of questions: Anything glaring "out of date" or deprecated in 1.6.2 from what is in the Upton book? For example, I don't recall the Controller functions in the blog screencast including the
Code:
{parent:: Controller();}
(which Upton says is required, at a minimum, on page 34)

Also, I'd like to convert an existing app to CI, just so I can conceptualize where in the CI folder structure (and MVC concept) the different pieces go. The app uses .php and .phtml pages (where the .phtml mix logic and presentation - an obvious no-no in MVCland).

The app also uses a mixture of PHP and Javascript, for example it uses dynamic dropdown menus values and visible labels from a database table. It populates the dropdown menu on page load if a value has been set and modifies the value if the dropdown has been changed on submit.

It also uses PHP sessions to set a securitylevel parameter that is checked to show/hide (and limit access to) certain functionality. For example, anything under the "admin/" URI will only be loaded if the session securitylevel is set to admin.

The app also does php includes for files like shared/common_lib.php for functions, etc.

I get that any HTML goes in the Views folder, but not sure where the Javascript goes or how I divide up the existing code to fit into the CI folder hierarchy. Anybody have any guidelines to follow - or do you suggest just starting to rewrite the existing apps functionality from scratch the CI way?

TIA for any opinions you might wish to share.

Messages In This Thread
Converting an app to CI (conceptualizing the breakdown) - by El Forum - 06-17-2008, 10:42 AM
Converting an app to CI (conceptualizing the breakdown) - by El Forum - 06-17-2008, 01:17 PM
Converting an app to CI (conceptualizing the breakdown) - by El Forum - 06-17-2008, 10:52 PM
Converting an app to CI (conceptualizing the breakdown) - by El Forum - 06-18-2008, 08:08 AM
Converting an app to CI (conceptualizing the breakdown) - by El Forum - 06-19-2008, 12:51 AM
Converting an app to CI (conceptualizing the breakdown) - by El Forum - 06-19-2008, 02:18 AM
Converting an app to CI (conceptualizing the breakdown) - by El Forum - 06-19-2008, 02:31 AM
Converting an app to CI (conceptualizing the breakdown) - by El Forum - 06-19-2008, 09:54 AM

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB