Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Generic list generator helper with templates (ul, ol, select box, etc.)

[eluser]Jelmer[/eluser]
The code and explanation are in the wiki:
http://codeigniter.com/wiki/Generatic_List_Generator/

If the ul(), ol() and form_dropdown() aren't powerfull enough for you, this might do the trick. Check out the wiki post for some explanation about how it works and what it can do. I will write up some more complex examples to better show its usefullness.

UPDATE november 16: I added some examples below

I wrote it just now and I'm still testing it but it already created values for Script.aculo.us inPlaceCollectionEditor, a selectbox and multiple nested lists without any problem.

What can be done better
There's a couple of things that can possibly be done a lot better, like the alternation of values which doesn't continue within/after a nested set. Within a nested set it starts from the begining and after it continues with the value the parent had.

Also, the helper will quite happily produce non-valid code if you structure your arrays wrong - bot I don't really consider that a bug. For instance array(1,2,3,array('a','b') would produce non-valid code and array(1,2,3=>array('a','b') would produce valid code (the sublist enclosed within the LI of the '3'-node).

Some improvements I'm thinking about (last update: 12/10)
- Improve the functions within classes recognition for classes which aren't instantiated on their own name within CI
- Add arguments to the 'functions' options, so values can be passed through brackets like in the form_validation (for instance: some_method[arg1, arg2]) and maybe allow for passing the value of keys too by prefixing those with itemvalue_ (like: some_method[arg1, itemvalue_keyname])
- Prevent double $option['link'] to be added because of ignore values (now solved by removing a double found with a single at the bottom of the function)
- Add selection option
Some bugfixes and these improvements (last update: 12/10)
- Bugfix: moved the foreach loop for external functions within and outside classes, which now detects if the expected class is the current controller. Though it still wouldn’t handle a class correctly for which the classname and the variablename within CI aren’t the same. (for example: a library “Example” would be instantiated on $this->example)
- Bugfix: added a str_replace at the end that replaces any double added $option[‘link’], should be prevented but don’t have the time to figure out a decent patch. (update: 11/20)
- Remove any leftover tags at the end (update: 11/16)
- Replace the preg_replace() with str_replace() where possible (which is nearly everywhere, I just used preg_replace because I'm used to it, not because it's needed) (update: 11/16)

Any suggestions or improvements are welcome!

Messages In This Thread
Generic list generator helper with templates (ul, ol, select box, etc.) - by El Forum - 11-15-2008, 06:34 PM

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB