Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
how to handle lots and lots of very similar tables

[eluser]jedd[/eluser]
Quote:My advice is not to be too concerned about code replication to begin with. Get on with the implementation, and your understanding of your application will develop with the application, and you can always tighten things up at a later date.

Okay. I had actually started to think I should just build 3 or 4 taxa tables, and treat them separately .. just so I can start moving on. I just fear that I'll never 'get back to' things later on. (Does anyone ever? Wink

Quote:Why not just create your model as a library, and extend/override it?

Forgive my obtuseness .. and note that I've only read thru the Library part of the user_guide twice just now .. but what advantages would this have over, say, keeping this logic in a model? Libraries appear to be called by Controllers only, but I don't see that as a problem.

With the AR stuff - I was sure that I'd read that each class maps to its own table, but perhaps that was a specific AR extension rather than the built-in CI stuff. But, okay, good - very happy to hear I won't get disowned by the CI deities if I wrap up a couple of dozen table front-ends into one model!

Stupidly, I hadn't connected controller names with URI segments, but, yes, of course. <slaps forehead> I'll stick with _model suffixes then. Part of the confusion I've given myself in the past, and it's pretty arbitrary, has been with my IDE (Quanta) - as I toggle between tabbed files where the filenames in those tabs are very similar.

Quote:Hope this helps.

Very much so - thank you!

Messages In This Thread
how to handle lots and lots of very similar tables - by El Forum - 02-23-2009, 04:52 PM
how to handle lots and lots of very similar tables - by El Forum - 02-23-2009, 06:44 PM
how to handle lots and lots of very similar tables - by El Forum - 02-23-2009, 07:28 PM
how to handle lots and lots of very similar tables - by El Forum - 02-23-2009, 07:49 PM
how to handle lots and lots of very similar tables - by El Forum - 02-23-2009, 08:52 PM

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB