Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Rerouting to Different Controllers for Mobile/Wii at a Root Level

[eluser]Jonathan Ledbetter[/eluser]
I'm trying to figure out the best way to reroute input for cell phones and Wii. (I've already whipped up a couple of custom methods, isMobile() and isConsole(), in a helper function for this purpose.) Using these three functions, I can think of three ways to do it:

1. Capture the output before being sent to a controller. I tried to implement this in both my index.php file and my application/configs/routes.php file (by wrapping an isMobile() check around a $routes declaration), but to no avail.

2. Use a _remap() declaration in each controller.

3. Load different views for mobile/Wii users.

Now, I can see where it would be more useful to use some techniques over the other. I'd rather lean towards option #1 and option #3. While #3 would reduce the potential code by a third, the first one would allow me to keep things better organized.

My question is, is there a way to use my custom mobile/Wii functions to reroute to different controllers at a basic level? The functions I use are listed below:

Code:
function matchBrowser($needle)
{
    $haystack = $_SERVER['HTTP_USER_AGENT'];
    return (stripos($haystack, $needle) !== FALSE);
}

function isMobile()
{
    $mobiles = array('opera mini',
                     'opera mobi',
                     'mobileie',
                     'iphone',
                     'ipod');

$isMobile = false;

foreach ($mobiles as $mobile):
        if (matchBrowser($mobile)):
            $isMobile = true;
            break;
        endif;
    endforeach;

return $isMobile;
}

function isConsole()
{
    $consoles = array('wii');

$isConsole = false;

foreach ($consoles as $console):
        if (matchBrowser($console)):
            $isConsole = true;
            break;
        endif;
    endforeach;

return $isConsole;
}

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated. Also, any idea of which way would be better/easier to maintain in the long run would also be very helpful. Thanks in advance!

(If it helps, I'll be testing on a Samsung SCH-i760 phone with Mobile IE and Opera Mobile, as well as my Wii.)

Messages In This Thread
Rerouting to Different Controllers for Mobile/Wii at a Root Level - by El Forum - 02-27-2009, 02:00 AM

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB